New Jersey Revised Statutes § 52:27bbb-63.1 - School Districts Affected By Economic Recovery Term.

52:27BBB-63.1 School districts affected by economic recovery term.

12. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 67 of P.L.2002, c.43 (C.52:27BBB-63) or any other section of law to the contrary, upon the commencement of the economic recovery term in a qualified municipality pursuant to the provisions of section 6 of P.L.2002, c.43 (C.52:27BBB-6), a school district which is contiguous with that qualified municipality shall become or remain, as applicable, a Type I school district and, except at otherwise provided pursuant to subsection b. of this section, shall be governed by the provisions of Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes relating to Type I districts.

b.The terms of the appointed members of the board of education in office at the time of the commencement of the economic recovery term shall continue to, and cease upon, the appointment of members to the Type I school district board of education by the mayor or other chief executive officer of the qualified municipality. The terms of the newly-appointed members shall be staggered. Any elected members of the board of education in office at the time of the commencement of the economic recovery term shall continue in office until the expiration of their respective terms and the qualification of their respective successors following appointment to the Type I school district board of education by the mayor or other chief elected officer of the qualified municipality.

c.At the April school election in the fourth school year following the commencement of the economic recovery term in a qualified municipality, the board of education of the district shall place the question of the classification status of the district as a Type I or Type II district before the voters, which election shall be conducted in accordance with the provisions of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes concerning school elections.

If the voters of the district elect to become a Type II district, it shall be governed by the provisions of Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes relating to Type II districts and the members of the board of education at the time of the election shall remain and continue in office until the expiration of their respective terms and the qualification of their respective successors.

If the voters of the district elect to remain a Type I district, it shall be governed in accordance with the provisions of Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes relating to Type I districts.

d.The provisions of section 68 of P.L.2002, c.43 (C.52:27BBB-64) shall not be applicable to a school district subject to this section.

L.2009, c.337, s.12.

Section: Previous  52-27bbb-57  52-27bbb-58  52-27bbb-59  52-27bbb-60  52-27bbb-61  52-27bbb-62  52-27bbb-63  52-27bbb-63.1  52-27bbb-64  52-27bbb-65  52-27bbb-66  52-27bbb-67  52-27bbb-68  52-27bbb-69  52-27bbb-70  Next

Last modified: October 11, 2016