North Carolina General Statutes § 106-657 Definitions
Legal Research Home > North Carolina Lawyer
When used in this Article:
(1) The term "brand name" means the name under which any individual mixed fertilizer or fertilizer material is offered for sale, and may include a trademark, but shall not include any numeral other than the grade of the fertilizer.
(2) The term "bulk fertilizer" means a commercial fertilizer distributed in non‑package form.
(3) The term "commercial fertilizer" includes both fluid and dry mixed fertilizer and/or fertilizer materials.
(4) The term "contractor" means any person, firm, corporation, wholesaler, retailer, distributor or any other person, who for hire or reward applies commercial fertilizer to the soil or crop of a consumer; provided, that this shall not apply to any consumer applying commercial fertilizer to only the land or crop that he owns or to which he otherwise holds rights, for the production of his own crops.
(5) The term "distributor" means any person who offers for sale, sells, barters, or otherwise supplies mixed fertilizer or fertilizer materials.
(6) The term "fertilizer material" means any substance containing either nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, or any other recognized plant food element or compound which is used primarily for its plant food content or for compounding mixed fertilizers. Not included in this definition are all types of unmanipulated animal and vegetable manures and mulches for which no plant food content is claimed.
(7) The term "fluid fertilizer" means a nonsolid commercial fertilizer.
(8) The term "fortified mulch" means substances composed primarily of plant remains or mixtures of such substances to which plant food has been added and for which plant food is claimed.
In "fortified mulches" the minimum percentages of total nitrogen, available phosphate and soluble or available potash are to be guaranteed and the guarantee stated in multiples of quarter (.25) percentages; provided, however, that such percentages shall not exceed one percent (1%), respectively, subject to the same limits and tolerances set forth in this Chapter.
(9) The term "grade" means the percentage of total nitrogen, available phosphate and soluble potash only stated in the order given in this subdivision, and, when applied to mixed fertilizers, shall be in whole numbers only for all packages larger than 16 ounces.
(10) The term "manipulated manures" means substances composed primarily of excreta, plant remains or mixtures of such substances which have been processed in any manner, including the addition of plant foods, artificially drying, grinding and other means.
In "manipulated manures" the minimum percentages of total nitrogen, available phosphate and soluble potash are to be guaranteed, and the guarantee stated in multiples of half (.50) percentages. Additions of plant food shall be limited to one‑half (.50) percent each of nitrogen, phosphorus and potash.
(11) The term "manufacturer" means a person engaged in the business of preparing, mixing, or manufacturing commercial fertilizers or the person whose name appears on the label as being responsible for the guarantee. The term "manufacture" means preparing, mixing, or combining fertilizer materials chemically or physically, including the simultaneous application of two or more fertilizer materials, by a manufacturer or contract applicator.
(12) The term "mixed fertilizers" means products resulting from the combination, mixture, or simultaneous application of two or more fertilizer materials for use in, or claimed to have value in promoting plant growth.
(13) The term "mulch" means substances composed primarily of plant remains or mixtures of such substances to which no plant food has been added and for which no plant food is claimed.
(14) The term "natural organic fertilizer" means material derived from either plant or animal products containing one or more elements (other than carbon, hydrogen and oxygen) which are essential for plant growth. These materials may be subjected to biological degradation processes under normal conditions of aging, rainfall, sun‑curing, air drying, composting, rotting, enzymatic, or anaerobic/aerobic bacterial action, or any combination of these. These materials shall not be mixed with synthetic materials, or changed in any physical or chemical manner from their initial state except by physical manipulations such as drying, cooking, chopping, grinding, shredding or pelleting.
(15) The term "official sample" means any sample of commercial fertilizer taken by the Commissioner or his authorized agent according to the method prescribed in subsection (b) of G.S. 106‑662.
(16) The term "organic fertilizer" means a material containing carbon and one or more elements other than hydrogen and oxygen essential for plant growth.
(17) The term "percent" or "percentage" means the percentage by weight.
(18) The term "person" includes individuals, partnerships, associations, firms, agencies, and corporations, or other legal entity.
(19) The term "retailer" means any person who sells or delivers fertilizer to a consumer.
(20) The term "sale" means any transfer of title or possession, or both, exchange or barter of tangible personal property, conditional or otherwise for a consideration paid or to be paid, and this shall include any of said transactions whereby title or ownership is to pass and shall further mean and include any bailment, loan, lease, rental or license to use or consume tangible personal property for a consideration paid in which possession of said property passes to the bailee, borrower, lessee, or licensee.
(21) The term "sell" means the alienation, exchange, transfer or contract for such transfer of property for a fixed price in money or its equivalent.
(22) The term "specialty fertilizer" means any fertilizer distributed primarily for use on noncommercial crops such as gardens, lawns, shrubs, flowers, golf courses, cemeteries and nurseries.
(23) The term "ton" means a net ton of two thousand pounds avoirdupois.
(24) The term "unmanipulated manures" means substances composed primarily of excreta, plant remains or mixtures of such substances which have not been processed in any manner.
(25) The term "wholesaler" shall mean any person who sells to any other person for the purpose of resale, and who also may sell to a consumer.
(26) Words importing the singular number may extend and be applied to several persons or things, and words importing the plural number may include the singular.
(27) The term "fertilizer coated seed" means seed which has been coated with commercial fertilizer. (1947, c. 1086, s. 3; 1951, c. 1026, ss. 1, 2; 1955, c. 354, s. 1; 1959, c. 706, ss. 1, 2; 1961, c. 66, ss. 1, 2; 1977, c. 303, s. 3; 1981, c. 448, ss. 1‑4; 1983, c. 146, s. 1; 1993, c. 216, s. 3.)
Last modified: February 21, 2012