North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 67 Dogs
Legal Research Home >
North Carolina Lawyer
Article 1 - Owner's Liability.
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-1. Liability for injury to livestock or fowls
If any dog, not being at the time on the premises of the owner or person having charge thereof, shall kill or injure any...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-2. Permitting bitch at large
If any person owning or having any bitch shall knowingly permit her to run at large during the erotic stage of copulation he shall...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-3. Sheep-killing dogs to be killed
If any person owning or having any dog that kills sheep or other domestic animals, or that kills a human being, upon satisfactory evidence...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-4. Failing to kill mad dog
If the owner of any dog shall know, or have good reason to believe, that his dog, or any dog belonging to any person...
Article 1A - Dangerous Dogs.
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-4.1. Definitions and procedures
(a) As used in this Article, unless the context clearly requires otherwise and except as modified in subsection (b) of this section, the term:...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-4.2. Precautions against attacks by dangerous dogs
(a) It is unlawful for an owner to: (1) Leave a dangerous dog unattended on the owner's real property unless the dog is confined...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-4.3. Penalty for attacks by dangerous dogs
The owner of a dangerous dog that attacks a person and causes physical injuries requiring medical treatment in excess of one hundred dollars ($100.00)...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-4.4. Strict liability
The owner of a dangerous dog shall be strictly liable in civil damages for any injuries or property damage the dog inflicts upon a...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-4.5. Local ordinances
Nothing in this Article shall be construed to prevent a city or county from adopting or enforcing its own program for control of dangerous...
Article 2 - License Taxes on Dogs.
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-5 through 67-11. Repealed by Session Laws 1973, c. 822, s. 6
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-12. Permitting dogs to run at large at night; penalty; liability for damage
No person shall allow his dog over six months old to run at large in the nighttime unaccompanied by the owner or by some...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-13. Repealed by Session Laws 1973, c. 822, s. 6
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-14. Mad dogs, dogs killing sheep, etc., may be killed
Any person may kill any mad dog, and also any dog if he is killing sheep, cattle, hogs, goats, or poultry. (1919, c. 116,...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-14.1. Dogs injuring deer or bear on wildlife management area may be killed; impounding unmuzzled dogs running at large
(a) Any dog which trails, runs, injures or kills any deer or bear on any wildlife refuge, sanctuary or management area, now or hereafter...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-15. Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 35, s. 2
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-16. Failure to discharge duties imposed under this Article
Any person failing to discharge any duty imposed upon him under this Article shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1919, c. 116,...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-17. Deleted
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-18. Application of Article
This Article, G.S. 67-5 to 67-18, inclusive, is hereby made applicable to every county in the State of North Carolina, notwithstanding any provisions in...
Article 3 - Special License Tax on Dogs.
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-19 through 67-28. Repealed by Session Laws 1973, c. 822, s. 6
Article 4 - Guide Dogs.
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-29. Repealed by Session Laws 1973, c. 493, s. 2
Article 5 - Protection of Livestock and Poultry from Ranging Dogs.
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-30. Appointment of animal control officers authorized; salary, etc
A county may appoint one or more animal control officers and may fix their salaries, allowances, and expenses. (1951, c. 931, s. 1; 1955,...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-31. Powers and duties of dog warden
The powers and duties of the county dog warden shall be as follows: (1) He shall have the power of arrest and be responsible...
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-32. Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 891, s. 9
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-33 through 67-35. Repealed by Session Laws 1973, c. 822, s. 6
- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 67-36. Article supplements existing laws
The provisions of this Article are to be construed as supplementing and not repealing existing State laws pertaining to the ownership, taxation, and control...
Speak with a Lawyer in North Carolina
Last modified: March 23, 2014