Oregon Statutes - Chapter 321 - Timber and Forestland Taxation - Section 321.367 - Forestland management; effect of failure to manage forestland in accordance with management plan; rules.
(1) The State Forester shall identify all of the forestlands that fail to meet the minimum stocking required under ORS 527.610 to 527.770 and that are therefore underproductive as described under ORS 526.455.
(2) At any time the State Forester has reason to believe that forestland is not being managed as forestland, the State Forester shall review the owner’s management plan, if any, and inspect the property. Subject to subsection (5) of this section, the State Forester shall advise the owner as prescribed in subsection (3) of this section if the State Forester determines the land is not being managed in accordance with a plan that provides for:
(a) Regeneration of all suitable nonstocked land;
(b) Maintenance of a free-to-grow condition;
(c) Protection from fire, insects, disease, animal damage, undesirable vegetative competition; and
(d) Final harvest.
(3)(a) The State Forester shall advise the owner that the land is not being managed in accordance with a plan that meets the criteria set forth in subsection (2) of this section and that a plan for the land that does meet the criteria must be developed and activated within one year after the date of the advisement.
(b) At the request of the owner, the State Forester shall assign a forester or provide a listing of foresters to assist the owner in developing and implementing an appropriate management plan for the land.
(c) As soon as practicable after the time indicated in the advisement has expired, the State Forester shall view the land to determine if the land is being managed in accordance with a plan that meets the criteria set forth in subsection (2) of this section. If, upon inspection, the State Forester finds that the land is not being so managed, the State Forester shall notify the owner and the county assessor.
(4) The county assessor, upon receipt of the notice from the State Forester, shall cease to treat that land as forestland under ORS 321.257 to 321.390 and shall value the land as prescribed under ORS 308.146 and 308.232.
(5) If at the time that the State Forester views the land under subsection (3)(c) of this section, it is determined that a change in ownership has occurred, the State Forester shall notify the new owner as required under subsection (3) of this section in the manner of the original notification.
(6) When the owner of land disqualified from forestland assessment provides satisfactory information to the State Forester of subsequent action taken to correct the deficiency resulting in the disqualification of land, or provides an acceptable management plan to correct such deficiency, the State Forester shall so indicate to the county assessor. The assessor shall then assess the land under ORS 321.257 to 321.390, if the land is otherwise qualified for such assessment.
(7) The State Forester shall adopt rules necessary to carry out the purposes of this section. [1977 c.892 §28a; 1979 c.454 §5; 1983 c.669 §1; 1987 c.158 §53; 1991 c.854 §7; 1993 c.801 §38b; 2003 c.621 §19; 2005 c.94 §103]Section: Previous 321.360 321.361 321.362 321.363 321.364 321.365 321.366 321.367 321.372 321.375 321.377 321.379 321.381 321.390 321.405 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008