Oregon Statutes - Chapter 341 - Community Colleges - Section 341.019 - All areas in state to be served by district; procedure; responsibility; rules; local advisory committees; duties.
(1) All areas within this state shall be served by a community college district. Such services may be provided either:
(a) Directly by formation of a community college district; or
(b) Indirectly by contract with an existing community college district.
(2) The Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development shall fix responsibility for serving each area that is not within a community college district. Where feasible, each area shall be a whole county or a group of counties or that part of a county not already in a community college district.
(3) In order to obtain the services described in subsection (1)(b) of this section, residents of a nondistrict area must indicate their interest in receiving services by requesting formation of a local advisory committee and seeking the advice and counsel of the Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development.
(4) The State Board of Education by rule shall establish standards for determining when there is sufficient interest among the residents of a nondistrict area to warrant appointment of a local advisory committee.
(5) When the Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development has made the determination under subsection (4) of this section, the department and the interested residents of the nondistrict area shall apply jointly to the governing body of the county for the appointment of a local advisory committee.
(6) Upon application, the governing body of the county shall appoint a local advisory committee and shall insure that the committee is broadly representative of the nondistrict area.
(7) If the nondistrict area involves two or more counties, the governing body of each county shall appoint members to the local advisory committee in proportion to the number of county residents within the nondistrict area.
(8) The governing body of a county making appointments under subsection (6) or (7) of this section shall not be obligated to fund any part of the budget described in ORS 341.021 (3).
(9) The duties of the local advisory committee shall include, but need not be limited to, advising the officials of the community college district serving the nondistrict area on the educational needs of the area.
(10) As used in ORS 341.019 to 341.022, “community college district” includes a community college service district. [1987 c.191 §2; 1991 c.757 §3]Section: Previous 341.005 341.009 341.010 341.015 341.018 341.019 341.020 341.021 341.022 341.023 341.024 341.025 341.030 341.035 341.037 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008