Oregon Statutes - Chapter 477 - Fire Protection of Forests and Vegetation - Section 477.295 - Minimum assessment under ORS 477.270; combining lots; fees; rules.
(1) For purposes of making the levy and assessment of costs against forestland under ORS 477.270, the minimum cost to provide fire protection or suppression for any lot or parcel of real property separately assessed for ad valorem taxes or other taxes provided by law in lieu thereof, on the current assessment roll shall be not less than $18.75, except as provided in ORS 477.760. Three dollars and seventy-five cents of each minimum assessment shall be paid into the Oregon Forest Land Protection Fund. Otherwise, such assessments shall be determined under ORS 477.230 and 477.270.
(2) In any fiscal year in which the Emergency Fire Cost Committee determines pursuant to ORS 477.760 that the unencumbered balance of the Oregon Forest Land Protection Fund has:
(a) Increased to an amount:
(A) More than $22.5 million but less than or equal to $30 million, the minimum assessment referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall be $16.88 for each lot or parcel. Of that amount, $1.88 of each minimum assessment shall be paid into the Oregon Forest Land Protection Fund.
(B) More than $30 million, the minimum assessment referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall be $15 for each lot or parcel. This amount shall be treated in the same manner as assessments under ORS 477.230 and 477.270.
(b) Decreased to an amount that is at or below $22.5 million, the minimum assessment referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall be $18.75 for each lot or parcel. This amount shall be treated in the same manner as assessments under subsection (1) of this section.
(3) Upon application to the forester under subsection (4) of this section, contiguous lots held under identical ownership shall be considered as one combined lot for purposes of subsection (1) of this section. However, the following may not be included in a combined lot:
(a) Except as provided in this paragraph, a lot on which a structure has been placed or improvements made for the purpose of erecting any temporary or permanent structure. One lot on which a single-family dwelling has been placed, and lots on which the structures and improvements that are appurtenant to that single-family dwelling have been placed, may be included in a combined lot that does not exceed 20 acres.
(b) A lot that is in a subdivision containing lots that have been or are being offered for sale.
(c) A lot that is not designated forest or agricultural land for the purpose of land use or special tax assessment purposes.
(4) To qualify under subsection (3) of this section, an owner of forestland shall make application to the forester no later than April 15 of the fiscal year preceding each fiscal year for which the owner desires the land to be assessed under subsection (3) of this section. The application shall be on a form prescribed by the State Forester. A fee of $25 per combined lot shall be paid to the forester at the time of first application for the combined lot. An additional fee of $25 per combined lot shall be paid to the forester at the time of subsequent application, if an application for the combined lot was not made for the previous fiscal year.
(5) The State Board of Forestry may adopt rules for the administration of the provisions of subsections (3) and (4) of this section.
(6) For the purposes of this section, “lot” and “subdivision” have the meanings given those terms in ORS 92.010. [1965 c.428 §6; 1969 c.204 §1; 1977 c.153 §1; 1977 c.892 §49; 1981 c.321 §13; 1983 c.108 §1; 1989 c.769 §7; 1991 c.623 §1; 1991 c.639 §4; 1997 c.274 §7; 1999 c.355 §9; 2003 c.685 §§3,8; 2005 c.802 §§9,10; 2007 c.779 §3]
Note: See note under 477.277.Section: Previous 477.282 477.284 477.285 477.286 477.288 477.290 477.291 477.295 477.300 477.302 477.304 477.305 477.306 477.308 477.310 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008