Oregon Statutes - Chapter 742 - Insurance Policies Generally; Property and Casualty Policies - Section 742.520 - Personal injury protection benefits for motor vehicle liability policies; applicability.
(1) Every motor vehicle liability policy issued for delivery in this state that covers any private passenger motor vehicle shall provide personal injury protection benefits to the person insured thereunder, members of that personís family residing in the same household, children not related to the insured by blood, marriage or adoption who are residing in the same household as the insured and being reared as the insuredís own, passengers occupying the insured motor vehicle and pedestrians struck by the insured motor vehicle.
(2) Personal injury protection benefits apply to a personís injury or death resulting:
(a) In the case of the person insured under the policy and members of that personís family residing in the same household, from the use, occupancy or maintenance of any motor vehicle, except the following vehicles:
(A) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, that is owned or furnished or available for regular use by any of such persons and that is not described in the policy;
(B) A motorcycle or moped which is not owned by any of such persons, but this exclusion applies only when the injury or death results from such personís operating or riding upon the motorcycle or moped; and
(C) A motor vehicle not included in subparagraph (A) or (B) of this paragraph and not a private passenger motor vehicle. However, this exclusion applies only when the injury or death results from such personís operating or occupying the motor vehicle.
(b) In the case of a passenger occupying or a pedestrian struck by the insured motor vehicle, from the use, occupancy or maintenance of the vehicle.
(3) Personal injury protection benefits consist of payments for expenses, loss of income and loss of essential services as provided in ORS 742.524.
(4) An insurer shall pay all personal injury protection benefits promptly after proof of loss has been submitted to the insurer.
(5) The potential existence of a cause of action in tort does not relieve an insurer from the duty to pay personal injury protection benefits.
(6) Disputes between insurers and beneficiaries about the amount of personal injury protection benefits, or about the denial of personal injury protection benefits, shall be decided by arbitration if mutually agreed to at the time of the dispute. Arbitration under this subsection shall take place as described in ORS 742.521.
(7) An insurer:
(a) May not enter into or renew any contract that provides, or has the effect of providing, managed care services to beneficiaries.
(b) May enter into or renew any contract that provides evaluation services for beneficiaries. [Formerly 743.800; 1991 c.768 §6; 1993 c.282 §1; 1993 c.596 §39; 1995 c.658 §114; 1997 c.344 §§1,2; 1997 c.808 §§3,4; 1999 c.434 §1; 2003 c.813 §1; 2005 c.465 §3; 2007 c.328 §8]Section: Previous 742.500 742.502 742.504 742.506 742.508 742.510 742.518 742.520 742.521 742.522 742.524 742.525 742.526 742.528 742.529 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008