Oregon Statutes - Chapter 783 - Liabilities and Offenses Connected With Shipping and Navigation; Shipbreaking; Ballast Water - Section 783.625 - Definitions for ORS 783.625 to 783.640.
As used in ORS 783.625 to 783.640, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Ballast water” means any water used to manipulate the trim and stability of a vessel.
(2) “Cargo vessel” means a ship in commerce that is equipped with ballast tanks, other than a tank vessel or a vessel used solely for commercial fish harvesting, of 300 gross tons or more.
(3) “Coastal exchange” means exchanging the ballast water taken onboard at a North American coastal port at a distance of at least 50 nautical miles from land and at a depth of at least 200 meters.
(4) “Department” means the Department of Environmental Quality.
(5) “Oil” means oil, gasoline, crude oil, fuel oil, diesel oil, lubricating oil, oil sludge, oil refuse and any other petroleum related product.
(6) “Open sea exchange” means a replacement of ballast water that occurs in an area no less than 200 nautical miles from any shore.
(7) “Passenger vessel” means a ship of 300 gross tons or more carrying passengers for compensation.
(8) “Sediment” means any matter that settles out of ballast water.
(9) “Ship” means any boat, ship, vessel, barge or other floating craft of any kind.
(10) “Tank vessel” means a ship that is constructed or adapted to carry oil in bulk as cargo or cargo residue other than:
(a) A vessel carrying oil in drums, barrels or other packages;
(b) A vessel carrying oil as fuel or stores for that vessel; or
(c) An oil spill response barge or vessel.
(11) “Vessel” means a tank vessel, cargo vessel or passenger vessel.
(12) “Voyage” means any transit by a vessel destined for any Oregon port.
(13) “Waters of this state” means natural waterways including all tidal and nontidal bays, intermittent streams, constantly flowing streams, lakes, wetlands and other bodies of water in this state, navigable and nonnavigable, including that portion of the Pacific Ocean that is in the boundaries of Oregon. [2001 c.722 §1; 2003 c.692 §1; 2005 c.62 §2; 2007 c.816 §2]Section: Previous 783.540 783.550 783.560 783.570 783.580 783.590 783.600 783.610 783.620 783.625 783.630 783.635 783.640 783.990 783.992 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008