29 USC 2917 - Evaluations
Sec. 2917. Evaluations(a)
Programs and activities carried out under this chapter
For the purpose of improving the management and effectiveness of programs and activities carried out under this chapter, the Secretary shall provide for the continuing evaluation of the programs and activities, including those programs and activities carried out under section 2916 of this title. Such evaluations shall address—
(1) the general effectiveness of such programs and activities in relation to their cost, including the extent to which the programs and activities—
(A) improve the employment competencies of participants in comparison to comparably-situated individuals who did not participate in such programs and activities; and
(B) to the extent feasible, increase the level of total employment over the level that would have existed in the absence of such programs and activities;
(2) the effectiveness of the performance measures relating to such programs and activities;
(3) the effectiveness of the structure and mechanisms for delivery of services through such programs and activities;
(4) the impact of the programs and activities on the community and participants involved;
(5) the impact of such programs and activities on related programs and activities;
(6) the extent to which such programs and activities meet the needs of various demographic groups; and
(7) such other factors as may be appropriate.
Other programs and activities
The Secretary may conduct evaluations of other federally funded employment-related programs and activities under other provisions of law.
Evaluations conducted under this section shall utilize appropriate methodology and research designs, including the use of control groups chosen by scientific random assignment methodologies. The Secretary shall conduct as least 1 multisite control group evaluation under this section by the end of fiscal year 2005.
The entity carrying out an evaluation described in subsection (a) or (b) of this section shall prepare and submit to the Secretary a draft report and a final report containing the results of the evaluation.
Reports to Congress
Not later than 30 days after the completion of such a draft report, the Secretary shall transmit the draft report to the Committee on Education and the Workforce of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Labor and Human Resources of the Senate. Not later than 60 days after the completion of such a final report, the Secretary shall transmit the final report to such committees of the Congress.
The Secretary shall ensure the coordination of evaluations carried out by States pursuant to section 2871 (e) of this title with the evaluations carried out under this section.
Last modified: July 21, 2011