33 USC 891b - Fleet replacement and modernization Plan
Sec. 891b. Fleet replacement and modernization Plan(a)
To carry out the program authorized in section 891a of this title, the Secretary shall develop and submit to Congress a replacement and modernization Plan for the NOAA fleet covering the years authorized under section 891h of this title.
The Plan required in subsection (a) of this section shall be submitted to Congress within 30 days of October 29, 1992, and updated on an annual basis.
The Plan required in subsection (a) of this section shall include the following—
(1) the number of vessels proposed to be modernized or replaced, the schedule for their modernization or replacement, and anticipated funding requirements;
(2) the number of vessels proposed to be constructed, leased, or chartered;
(3) the number of vessels, or days at sea, that can be obtained by using the vessels of the UNOLS;
(4) the number of vessels that will be made available to NOAA by the Secretary of the Navy, or any other federal  official, and the terms and conditions for their availability;
(5) the proposed acquisition of modern scientific instrumentation for the NOAA fleet, including acoustic systems, data transmission positioning and communication systems, physical, chemical, and meteorological oceanographic systems, and data acquisition and processing systems; and
(6) the appropriate role of the NOAA Corps in operating and maintaining the NOAA fleet.
The Secretary may not enter into any contract for the construction, lease, or service life extension of a vessel of the NOAA fleet before the date of the submission to Congress of the Plan required in subsection (a) of this section.
 So in original. Probably should be capitalized.
Last modified: July 21, 2011