38 USC 3108 - Allowances
Sec. 3108. Allowances(a)
(1) Except in the case of a veteran who makes an election under subsection (f) of this section and subject to the provisions of paragraph (3) of this subsection, each veteran shall be paid a subsistence allowance in accordance with this section during a period determined by the Secretary to be a period of such veteran’s participation under this chapter in a rehabilitation program.
(2) In any case in which the Secretary determines, at the conclusion of such veteran’s pursuit of a vocational rehabilitation program under this chapter, that such veteran has been rehabilitated to the point of employability, such veteran shall be paid a subsistence allowance, as prescribed in this section for full-time training for the type of program that the veteran was pursuing, for two months while satisfactorily following a program of employment services provided under section 3104 (a)(5) of this title.
(3) A subsistence allowance may not be paid under this chapter to a veteran for any period during which such veteran is being provided with an initial evaluation under section 3106 (a) of this title or during which such veteran is being provided only with counseling or with placement or postplacement services under section 3105 (b) of this title.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the Secretary shall determine the subsistence allowance to be paid to a veteran under this chapter in accordance with the following table, which shall be the monthly amount shown in column II, III, IV, or V (whichever is applicable as determined by the veteran’s dependency status) opposite the appropriate type of program being pursued as specified in column I:
Type of program
More than two dependents
The amount in column IV, plus the following for each dependent in excess of two:
Full-time $366 $454 $535 $39
Three-quarter time 275 341 400 30
Half-time 184 228 268 20
Farm cooperative, apprentice, or other on-job training:
Full-time 320 387 446 29
Full-time 366 454 535 39
Independent living training:
Full-time 366 454 535 39
Three-quarter time 275 341 400 30
Half-time 184 228 268 20
(2) With respect to the fiscal year beginning on October 1, 1994, the Secretary shall provide a percentage increase in the monthly rates payable under paragraph (1) of this subsection equal to the percentage by which the Consumer Price Index (all items, United States city average published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics) for the 12-month period ending June 30, 1994, exceeds such Consumer Price Index for the 12-month period ending June 30, 1993.
(3) With respect to any fiscal year beginning on or after October 1, 1995, the Secretary shall continue to pay, in lieu of the rates payable under paragraph (1) of this subsection, the monthly rates payable under this subsection for the previous fiscal year and shall provide, for any such fiscal year, a percentage increase in such rates equal to the percentage by which—
(A) the Consumer Price Index (all items, United States city average) for the 12-month period ending on June 30 preceding the beginning of the fiscal year for which the increase is made, exceeds
(B) such Consumer Price Index for the 12-month period preceding the 12-month period described in subparagraph (A).
(1) In any case in which the vocational rehabilitation program for a veteran includes training on the job by an employer in any month, such employer shall be required to submit to the Secretary a statement in writing showing any wage, compensation, or other income paid (directly or indirectly) by the employer to such veteran for such month. Based upon such written statement, the Secretary is authorized to reduce the subsistence allowance of such veteran to an amount considered equitable and just in accordance with criteria which the Secretary shall establish in regulations which the Secretary shall prescribe.
(2) A veteran pursuing on-job training or work experience as part of a vocational rehabilitation program in a Federal, State, or local government agency or federally recognized Indian tribe under the provisions of section 3115 (a)(1) of this title without pay or for nominal pay shall be paid the appropriate subsistence allowance rate provided in subsection (b) of this section for an institutional program.
(1) The Secretary shall, in accordance with regulations which the Secretary shall prescribe, define full-time and each part-time status for veterans participating in rehabilitation programs under this chapter.
(2) A veteran participating in extended evaluation on less than a full-time basis may be paid a proportional subsistence allowance in accordance with regulations which the Secretary shall prescribe.
(e) In any case in which a veteran is pursuing a rehabilitation program on a residential basis in a specialized rehabilitation facility, the Secretary may
(1) pay to such facility the cost of such veteran’s room and board in lieu of payment to such veteran of the subsistence allowance (not including any portion payable for any dependents) payable under subsection (b) of this section, and
(2) pay to such veteran that portion of the allowance for dependents payable, as determined by such veteran’s dependency status, under subsection (b) of this section for a full-time institutional program.
(A) In any case in which the Secretary determines that a veteran is eligible for and entitled to rehabilitation under this chapter, to the extent that such veteran has remaining eligibility for and entitlement to educational assistance benefits under chapter 30 of this title, such veteran may elect, as part of a vocational rehabilitation program under this chapter, to pursue an approved program of education and receive allowances and other forms of assistance equivalent to those authorized for veterans enrolled under chapter 30 of this title, if the Secretary approves the educational, professional, or vocational objective chosen by such veteran for such program.
(B) In the event that such veteran makes such an election, the terms and conditions applicable to the pursuit of a comparable program of education and the payment of allowances and provision of assistance under chapter 30 of this title for such a comparable program shall be applied to the pursuit of the approved program of education under this chapter.
(2) A veteran who is receiving an allowance pursuant to paragraph (1) of this subsection may not receive any of the services or assistance described in section 3104 (a)(3), (7), and (8) of this title (other than an allowance and other assistance under this subsection).
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title and subject to the provisions of paragraph (2) of this subsection, no subsistence allowance may be paid under this section in the case of any veteran who is pursuing a rehabilitation program under this chapter while incarcerated in a Federal, State, local, or other penal institution or correctional facility for conviction of a felony.
(2) Paragraph (1) of this subsection shall not apply in the case of any veteran who is pursuing a rehabilitation program under this chapter while residing in a halfway house or participating in a work-release program in connection with such veteran’s conviction of a felony.
(h) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, the amount of subsistence allowance, or other allowance under subsection (f) of this section, that may be paid to a veteran pursuing a rehabilitation program for any month for which such veteran receives compensation at the rate prescribed in section 1114 (j) of this title as the result of hospital treatment (not including post-hospital convalescence) or observation at the expense of the Department of Veterans Affairs may not exceed, when added to any compensation to which such veteran is entitled for such month, an amount equal to the greater of—
(1) the sum of—
(A) the amount of monthly subsistence or other allowance that would otherwise be paid to such veteran under this section, and
(B) the amount of monthly compensation that would be paid to such veteran if such veteran were not receiving compensation at such rate as the result of such hospital treatment or observation; or
(2) the amount of monthly compensation payable under section 1114 (j) of this title.
(i) Payment of a subsistence allowance may be made in advance in accordance with the provisions of section 3680 (d) of this title.
Last modified: July 21, 2011