38 USC 902 - Enforcement and arrest authority of Department police officers
Sec. 902. Enforcement and arrest authority of Department police officers(a)
(1) Employees of the Department who are Department police officers shall, with respect to acts occurring on Department property, enforce—
(A) Federal laws;
(B) the rules prescribed under section 901 of this title; and
(C) subject to paragraph (2), traffic and motor vehicle laws of a State or local government within the jurisdiction of which such Department property is located.
(2) A law described in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (1) may be enforced under such subparagraph only as authorized by an express grant of authority under applicable State or local law. Any such enforcement shall be by the issuance of a citation for violation of such law.
(3) Subject to regulations prescribed under subsection (b), a Department police officer may make arrests on Department property for a violation of a Federal law or any rule prescribed under section 901 (a) of this title.
(b) The Secretary shall prescribe regulations with respect to Department police officers. Such regulations shall include—
(1) policies with respect to the exercise by Department police officers of the enforcement and arrest authorities provided by this section;
(2) the scope and duration of training that is required for Department police officers, with particular emphasis on dealing with situations involving patients; and
(3) rules limiting the carrying and use of weapons by Department police officers.
(c) The Secretary shall consult with the Attorney General before prescribing regulations under paragraph (1) of subsection (b).
(d) Rates of basic pay for Department police officers may be increased by the Secretary under section 7455 of this title.
Last modified: July 21, 2011