Revised Code of Washington - RCW Title 79A Public Recreational Lands - Section 79A.60.190 Operation of personal watercraft -- Prohibited activities -- Penalties
Legal Research Home >
§ 79A.60.190. Operation of personal watercraft -- Prohibited activities -- Penalties
(1) A person shall not operate a personal watercraft unless each person aboard the personal watercraft is wearing a personal flotation device approved by the commission. Except as provided for in RCW 79A.60.020, a violation of this subsection is a civil infraction punishable under RCW 7.84.100.
(2) A person operating a personal watercraft equipped by the manufacturer with a lanyard-type engine cutoff switch shall attach the lanyard to his or her person, clothing, or personal flotation device as appropriate for the specific vessel. It is unlawful for any person to remove or disable a cutoff switch that was installed by the manufacturer.
(3) A person shall not operate a personal watercraft during darkness.
(4) A person under the age of fourteen shall not operate a personal watercraft on the waters of this state.
(5) A person shall not operate a personal watercraft in a reckless manner, including recklessly weaving through congested vessel traffic, recklessly jumping the wake of another vessel unreasonably or unnecessarily close to the vessel or when visibility around the vessel is obstructed, or recklessly swerving at the last possible moment to avoid collision.
(6) A person shall not lease, hire, or rent a personal watercraft to a person under the age of sixteen.
(7) Subsections (1) through (6) of this section shall not apply to a performer engaged in a professional exhibition or a person participating in a regatta, race, marine parade, tournament, or exhibition authorized or otherwise permitted by the appropriate agency having jurisdiction and authority to authorize such events.
(8) Violations of subsections (2) through (6) of this section constitute a misdemeanor under RCW 9.92.030.
[2000 c 11 § 101; 1993 c 244 § 17. Formerly RCW 88.12.145.]
Intent -- 1993 c 244: See note following RCW 79A.60.010.
Sections: 79A.60.120 79A.60.130 79A.60.140 79A.60.150 79A.60.160 79A.60.170 79A.60.180 79A.60.190 79A.60.200 79A.60.210 79A.60.220 79A.60.230 79A.60.240 79A.60.250 79A.60.260
Last modified: April 7, 2009