California Education Code Section 56195.8
56195.8. (a) Each entity providing special education under this part shall adopt policies for the programs and services it operates, consistent with agreements adopted pursuant to subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 56195.1 or Section 56195.7. The policies need not be submitted to the superintendent.
(b) The policies shall include, but not be limited to, all of the following:
(1) Nonpublic, nonsectarian services, including those provided pursuant to Sections 56365 and 56366.
(2) Review, at a general education or special education teacher s request, of the assignment of an individual with exceptional needs to his or her class and a mandatory meeting of the individualized education program team if the review indicates a change in the pupil s placement, instruction, related services, or any combination thereof. The procedures shall indicate which personnel are responsible for the reviews and a timetable for completion of the review.
(3) Procedural safeguards pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 56500).
(4) Resource specialists pursuant to Section 56362.
(5) Transportation, where appropriate, which describes how special education transportation is coordinated with regular home-to-school transportation. The policy shall set forth criteria for meeting the transportation needs of special education pupils. The policy shall include procedures to ensure compatibility between mobile seating devices, when used, and the securement systems required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 222 (49 C.F.R. 571.222) and to ensure that schoolbus drivers are trained in the proper installation of mobile seating devices in the securement systems.
(6) Information on the number of individuals with exceptional needs who are being provided special education and related services.
(7) Caseloads pursuant to Chapter 4.45 (commencing with Section 56440) of Part 30. The policies, with respect to caseloads, shall not be developed until guidelines or proposed regulations are issued pursuant to Section 56441.7. The guidelines or proposed regulations shall be considered when developing the caseload policy. A statement of justification shall be attached if the local caseload policy exceeds state guidelines or proposed regulations.
(c) The policies may include, but are not limited to, provisions for involvement of district and county governing board members in any due process hearing procedure activities conducted pursuant to, and consistent with, state and federal law.
(Added by Stats. 1997, Ch. 854, Sec. 12. Effective January 1, 1998.)Section: Previous 56195.7 56195.8 56195.9 56195.10 Next
Last modified: September 9, 2016