Oregon Statutes - Chapter 660 - Apprenticeship and Training; Workforce Development - Section 660.157 - Standard courses of study for apprentices and trainees.
(1) Each state joint committee, with the prior approval of the State Apprenticeship and Training Council, shall prescribe a standard course of study, developed from a trade analysis, for the trade, craft or industrial occupation over which the committee exercises jurisdiction. Each such course of study shall include instructional objectives and an outline of course content for related instruction and manipulative instruction in the classroom. The prescribed course shall also provide for evaluation procedures and instruments for measuring performance. For all programs in apprenticeable occupations a minimum of 144 hours of related instruction per year is recommended.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, no course of study for the instruction of apprentices or trainees that has not been prescribed pursuant to subsection (1) of this section may be implemented under ORS 660.002 to 660.210.
(3) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2) of this section, any course of study for the instruction of apprentices or trainees may be implemented under ORS 660.002 to 660.210 where such course of study:
(a) Involves instruction in any trades or crafts where the industry will provide the facilities for training;
(b) Prepares apprentices and trainees in any trades or crafts;
(c) Requires expert instructors to meet the level of skill and training required by the industry;
(d) Is substantially equivalent to the standard course prescribed under subsection (1) of this section; and
(e) Is supervised by a local joint committee or by a joint industry trust fund committee.
(4) Where a course of study meets the requirements of subsection (3) of this section, such course shall be approved:
(a) By the state joint committee; and
(b) By the State Board of Education for apprenticeship training credit and toward community college associate degrees.
(5) Operation of a course of study under subsection (3) of this section shall be the responsibility of the recognized local apprenticeship committee or local industry trust fund or recognized local employee organization. Such local committee, trust or organization may prescribe criteria for enrollment into the course of study. [1971 c.271 §7; 1973 c.648 §1; 1979 c.808 §1; 1981 c.764 §16]Section: Previous 660.139 660.140 660.141 660.142 660.145 660.150 660.155 660.157 660.158 660.159 660.160 660.162 660.165 660.167 660.170 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008