Oregon Statutes - Chapter 680 - Dental Hygienists; Denturists - Section 680.205 - Services rendered under permit.
(1) A dental hygienist issued a permit to act as a limited access permit dental hygienist under ORS 680.200 shall be authorized to render all services within the scope of practice of dental hygiene, as defined in ORS 679.010, without the supervision of a dentist and as authorized by the limited access permit to:
(a) Patients or residents of the following facilities or programs who, due to age, infirmity or disability, are unable to receive regular dental hygiene treatment:
(A) Nursing homes as defined in ORS 678.710;
(B) Adult foster homes as defined in ORS 443.705;
(C) Residential care facilities as defined in ORS 443.400;
(D) Adult congregate living facilities as defined in ORS 441.525;
(E) Mental health residential programs administered by the Department of Human Services;
(F) Facilities for mentally ill persons, as those terms are defined in ORS 426.005;
(G) Facilities for persons with mental retardation, as those terms are defined in ORS 427.005;
(H) Local correctional facilities and juvenile detention facilities as those terms are defined in ORS 169.005, regional correctional facilities as defined in ORS 169.620, youth correction facilities as defined in ORS 420.005, youth care centers as defined in ORS 420.855, and Department of Corrections institutions as defined in ORS 421.005; or
(I) Public and nonprofit community health clinics.
(b) Adults who are homebound.
(c) Students or enrollees of nursery schools and day care programs and their siblings under 18 years of age, Job Corps and other similar employment training facilities, primary and secondary schools, including private schools and public charter schools, and persons entitled to benefits under the Women, Infants and Children Program.
(2) The Oregon Board of Dentistry may authorize the provision of dental hygiene services by a limited access permit dental hygienist at locations or to populations that are underserved or lack access to dental hygiene services.
(3) At least once each calendar year, a dental hygienist issued a permit to act as a limited access permit dental hygienist shall refer each patient or resident to a dentist who is available to treat the patient or resident.
(4) This section does not authorize a limited access permit dental hygienist to administer local anesthesia, denture soft lines, temporary restorations and radiographs except under the general supervision of a dentist licensed under ORS chapter 679, or to administer nitrous oxide except under the indirect supervision of a dentist licensed under ORS chapter 679.
(5) A limited access permit dental hygienist may assess the need for and appropriateness of sealants, apply sealants and write prescriptions for all applications of fluoride in which fluoride is applied or supplied to patients.
(6) A person granted a limited access permit under ORS 680.200 shall also procure all other permits or certificates required by the board under ORS 679.250. [1997 c.251 §3; 2001 c.592 §1; 2005 c.52 §1; 2007 c.70 §306; 2007 c.379 §3]
Section: Previous 680.110 680.150 680.160 680.165 680.170 680.172 680.200 680.205 680.500 680.505 680.510 680.515 680.520 680.525 680.527 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008