39 USC 3691 - Establishment of modern service standards
Sec. 3691. Establishment of modern service standards(a)
Not later than 12 months after the date of enactment of this section, the Postal Service shall, in consultation with the Postal Regulatory Commission, by regulation establish (and may from time to time thereafter by regulation revise) a set of service standards for market-dominant products.
Such standards shall be designed to achieve the following objectives:
(A) To enhance the value of postal services to both senders and recipients.
(B) To preserve regular and effective access to postal services in all communities, including those in rural areas or where post offices are not self-sustaining.
(C) To reasonably assure Postal Service customers delivery reliability, speed and frequency consistent with reasonable rates and best business practices.
(D) To provide a system of objective external performance measurements for each market-dominant product as a basis for measurement of Postal Service performance.
Implementation of performance measurements.—
With respect to paragraph (1)(D), with the approval of the Postal Regulatory Commission an internal measurement system may be implemented instead of an external measurement system.
In establishing or revising such standards, the Postal Service shall take into account—
(1) the actual level of service that Postal Service customers receive under any service guidelines previously established by the Postal Service or service standards established under this section;
(2) the degree of customer satisfaction with Postal Service performance in the acceptance, processing and delivery of mail;
(3) the needs of Postal Service customers, including those with physical impairments;
(4) mail volume and revenues projected for future years;
(5) the projected growth in the number of addresses the Postal Service will be required to serve in future years;
(6) the current and projected future cost of serving Postal Service customers;
(7) the effect of changes in technology, demographics, and population distribution on the efficient and reliable operation of the postal delivery system; and
(8) the policies of this title and such other factors as the Postal Service determines appropriate.
The regulations promulgated pursuant to this section (and any revisions thereto), and any violations thereof, shall be subject to review upon complaint under sections 3662 and 3663.
Last modified: July 21, 2011