Revised Code of Washington - RCW Title 70 Public Health And Safety - Section 70.190.010 Definitions
Legal Research Home >
§ 70.190.010. Definitions
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Administrative costs" means the costs associated with procurement; payroll processing; personnel functions; management; maintenance and operation of space and property; data processing and computer services; accounting; budgeting; auditing; indirect costs; and organizational planning, consultation, coordination, and training.
(2) "Assessment" has the same meaning as provided in RCW 43.70.010.
(3) "At-risk" children are children who engage in or are victims of at-risk behaviors.
(4) "At-risk behaviors" means violent delinquent acts, teen substance abuse, teen pregnancy and male parentage, teen suicide attempts, dropping out of school, child abuse or neglect, and domestic violence.
(5) "Community public health and safety networks" or "networks" means the organizations authorized under RCW 70.190.060.
(6) "Comprehensive plan" means a two-year plan that examines available resources and unmet needs for a county or multicounty area, barriers that limit the effective use of resources, and a plan to address these issues that is broadly supported by local residents.
(7) "Participating state agencies" means the office of the superintendent of public instruction, the department of social and health services, the department of health, the employment security department, the department of community, trade, and economic development, and such other departments as may be specifically designated by the governor.
(8) "Family policy council" or "council" means the superintendent of public instruction, the secretary of social and health services, the secretary of health, the commissioner of the employment security department, and the director of the department of community, trade, and economic development or their designees, one legislator from each caucus of the senate and house of representatives, and one representative of the governor.
(9) "Fiduciary interest" means (a) the right to compensation from a health, educational, social service, or justice system organization that receives public funds, or (b) budgetary or policy-making authority for an organization listed in (a) of this subsection. A person who acts solely in an advisory capacity and receives no compensation from a health, educational, social service, or justice system organization, and who has no budgetary or policy-making authority is deemed to have no fiduciary interest in the organization.
(10) "Outcome" or "outcome based" means defined and measurable outcomes used to evaluate progress in reducing the rate of at-risk children and youth through reducing risk factors and increasing protective factors.
(11) "Matching funds" means an amount no less than twenty-five percent of the amount budgeted for a network. The network's matching funds may be in-kind goods and services. Funding sources allowable for match include appropriate federal or local levy funds, private charitable funding, and other charitable giving. Basic education funds shall not be used as a match. State general funds shall not be used as a match for violence reduction and drug enforcement account funds created under RCW 69.50.520.
(12) "Policy development" has the same meaning as provided in RCW 43.70.010.
(13) "Protective factors" means those factors determined by the department of health to be empirically associated with behaviors that contribute to socially acceptable and healthy nonviolent behaviors. Protective factors include promulgation, identification, and acceptance of community norms regarding appropriate behaviors in the area of delinquency, early sexual activity, alcohol and substance abuse, educational opportunities, employment opportunities, and absence of crime.
(14) "Risk factors" means those factors determined by the department of health to be empirically associated with at-risk behaviors that contribute to violence.
[1996 c 132 § 2; 1995 c 399 § 200; 1992 c 198 § 3.]
Intent -- Construction -- 1996 c 132: "It is the intent of this act only to make minimal clarifying, technical, and administrative revisions to the laws concerning community public health and safety networks and to the related agencies responsible for implementation of the networks. This act is not intended to change the scope of the duties or responsibilities, nor to undermine the underlying policies, set forth in chapter 7, Laws of 1994 sp. sess." [1996 c 132 § 1.]
Severability -- 1996 c 132: "If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1996 c 132 § 10.]
Sections: 70.190.005 70.190.010 70.190.020 70.190.030 70.190.040 70.190.050 70.190.060 70.190.065 70.190.070 70.190.075 70.190.080 70.190.085 70.190.090 70.190.100 70.190.110
Last modified: April 7, 2009