Code of Alabama - Title 11: Counties and Municipal Corporations - Section 11-44E-41 - Statement of candidacy

Section 11-44E-41 - Statement of candidacy.

Any person desiring to become a candidate in any election for the office of commissioner may become such candidate by filing in the office of the city clerk a statement in writing of such candidacy accompanied by a petition signed by a minimum of fifty registered voters of such commission district or in the case of mayor, one hundred registered voters of the municipality, endorsing the candidacy of such candidate and an affidavit taken and certified by such city clerk or notary public. Such statement shall be filed by 5:00 P.M. on the fourth Tuesday in June preceding the date set for the election and shall be substantially in the following form:

"State of Alabama, _____ County. I, the undersigned, being first duly sworn, depose and say that I am a citizen of the City of _____, in said State and County, and reside at _____ in said City of _____, that I desire to become a candidate for the office of commissioner for District _____, in said City at the election for said office to be held on the _____ day of _____ and that I am duly qualified to hold said office if elected thereto, and I hereby request that my name be printed upon the official ballot at said election.

Signed _____;

Sworn to and subscribed before me on this _____ day of _____, 2__, and filed in this office for record on said day.

_____ City Clerk."

Said statement shall be accompanied by a qualifying fee in the amount of $150.00 for candidates for a commissioner, which fee shall be paid over by the city clerk to the general fund of the city. Any person may file with the city clerk, a verified pauper's oath that he (she) does not have the financial resources to pay a qualifying fee and thereupon shall be exempt from filing such fee. No name shall appear upon said ballot as a candidate for election except the names of such persons as have become candidates according to provisions as above set forth. No primary election shall be held for the nomination of candidates for the office of mayor or commissioner and candidates shall be nominated only as hereinabove described.

(Acts 1988, No. 88-445, p. 660, §3.02; Acts 1988, 1st Sp. Sess., No. 88-831, p. 293, §2; Act 2011-252, p. 450, §1.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021