The mayor shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To serve as the presiding officer of the commission.
(2) To vote and have the same privileges as any member of the commission.
(3) To represent the city in ceremonial functions.
(4) To serve as chief executive officer.
(5) To develop the basic objectives and policies of the city in conjunction with the commission and with the advice of the city manager.
(6) To insure that adequate plans for the future development and growth of the city are prepared; participate in the preparation; and periodically present such plans for general review and approval by the commission; and present such proposals to the commission for review and approval.
(7) To plan in conjunction with the commission for the development of resources within the city and maintain programs which will encourage successful future management of the city.
(8) To succeed to all powers, rights, and privileges conferred upon the mayor of the city by statutes and laws of Alabama in effect at the time of adoption by the city of the mayor/commission/city manager form of government and not in conflict with this chapter.
(9) To designate the mayor pro-tem in the temporary absence of the mayor.
(10) With commission approval, to take such steps as may be necessary to protect and enhance the city's fiscal posture.
(11) To develop proposed rules of procedure for consideration by the commission.
Last modified: May 3, 2021