Code of Alabama - Title 11: Counties and Municipal Corporations - Section 11-52-53 - Appeals from compensation awards

Section 11-52-53 - Appeals from compensation awards.

Within 20 days after the approval of any such report by the council, any person dissatisfied with the award of compensation therein contained may file with the clerk of the council notice of appeal to the court of the county in which the appellant's land is located having jurisdiction of actions by municipalities to assess compensation for property taken or appropriated for public use for streets. Thereupon, and within 10 days of such notice, the clerk of the council shall file with the clerk of said court the report of the board of appraisers approved by the council, together with certified copies of the resolution of the council and of the notice of appeal. Within five days thereafter the appellant shall give and file with the clerk of said court an appeal bond, running to the municipality, for such amount as may be fixed by the court, to secure the municipality against the costs of the appeal in the event that appellant fails to obtain an award of compensation greater than that fixed in the said report. Thereupon said appeal shall be deemed to be filed and pending as a civil action brought by the municipality to appropriate and assess the compensation to be paid for the reservation of the land of the appellant as shown on the approved plat for the period fixed in the resolution of the council, and the procedure shall be in accordance with the procedure specified by law in the proceedings for the taking or appropriation of property for public use for streets, and the municipality shall pay the appellant the amount fixed in said civil action or, in the event it abandons the reservations, the amount of costs and expenses incurred by the appellant in said civil action.

(Acts 1935, No. 534, p. 1126; Code 1940, T. 37, §807.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021