Code of Alabama - Title 11: Counties and Municipal Corporations - Section 11-54-127 - Additional powers of boards

Section 11-54-127 - Additional powers of boards.

(a) In addition to all other powers conferred on it by law, and subject to any express provisions of its certificate of incorporation to the contrary, any industrial development board shall have all of the following powers, together with all powers incidental thereto or necessary to the discharge thereof in corporate form:

(1) To create or establish one or more endowment trust funds.

(2) To receive and accept from any private source, for the account of any endowment trust fund so created or established by it, contributions in the form of gifts of money, stocks, bonds, and other debt securities, other personal property, whether tangible or intangible, and real property of any description, subject, in the case of any such contribution, to any lawful condition to the use thereof that is specified by the donor thereof and that is not inconsistent with the provisions of this division.

(3) To deposit, or to cause to be deposited, into any endowment trust fund created by it any moneys derived by the board from the leasing or sale of any project or otherwise received by the board in connection with the exercise of its powers under either industrial development board act, provided that such deposit of moneys is not inconsistent with the terms and provisions of the lease or other instrument whereunder such moneys are authorized or required to be paid to the board.

(4) To designate or appoint one or more trustee banks with respect to any endowment trust fund so created or established by such board.

(5) To appoint, employ, contract with, and provide for the compensation of one or more fund managers to manage any endowment trust fund so created or established by the board, or any specific or designated part of any such fund, provided that any fund manager shall at all times be and remain subject to the general supervision of the investment committee.

(6) To take out and maintain, for the benefit of the board, a fidelity bond on any officer, employee, or other person who may handle moneys or other properties held in or forming a part of any endowment trust fund, in such amount and for such time as the directors may determine, and to pay the cost of any bond.

(7) To enter into such contracts, agreements, and other instruments including, without limitation, any trust agreement and any contract with a trade organization providing for the use and expenditure of moneys held in and forming a part of an endowment trust fund, as may be necessary or convenient to accomplish any power expressly granted hereunder.

(b) Nothing herein shall be construed to require or compel, or to empower any board, investment committee, fund manager, or trustee bank to require or compel any person to contribute to any endowment trust fund, whether created or established by such board or by another board, as a condition to the exercise of any power of such board under either industrial development board act, including, without limitation, the issuance of bonds by such board. Nor shall anything herein be construed to empower any industrial development board or endowment trust fund to operate any business or to employ, or to cause to be employed, in connection with the operation of any business, any property, whether real or personal, tangible or intangible, contributed to such fund; provided, however, that moneys held in and forming a part of a fund may be invested, and other properties so contributed to such fund may be managed, used, and disposed of, in accordance with this division. Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, no state or local governmental unit, including, without limitation, the State of Alabama and each county, municipality, and other political subdivision thereof, or other public body may contribute any money or other property owned or held by it to, or for the account of, any endowment trust fund; nor may any board or fund accept any contribution, whether made directly or indirectly, of any such money or other property contributed to, or for the account of, any such fund by any such state or local governmental unit or other public body.

(Act 2000-730, p. 1569, §3.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021