This article shall not apply to any of the following persons or institutions:
(1) Academic and research enterprises that use dogs or cats for medical or pharmaceutical research or testing.
(2) Any owner of a dog or cat who euthanizes the dog or cat for humane purposes.
(3) Any person who kills a dog or cat found outside of the owned or rented property of the owner or custodian of the dog or cat when the dog or cat threatens immediate physical injury or is causing physical injury to any person, animal, bird, or silvicultural or agricultural industry.
(4) A person who shoots a dog or cat with a BB gun not capable of inflicting serious injury when the dog or cat is defecating or urinating on the person's property.
(5) A person who uses a training device, anti-bark collar, or an invisible fence on his or her own dog or cat or with permission of the owner.
Last modified: May 3, 2021