(a) As used in this section, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) DEFRAUD. A misrepresentation of a material fact made willfully to deceive or with reckless disregard as to its truth or falsity.
(2) SYNTHETIC URINE. A substance that is designed to simulate the composition, chemical properties, physical appearance, or physical properties of human urine.
(3) URINE ADDITIVE. A substance that is designed to be added to human urine.
(b)(1) No person shall knowingly manufacture, market, sell, distribute, use, or possess synthetic urine or a urine additive to defraud an alcohol, drug, or urine screening test.
(2) No person shall knowingly use his or her urine to defraud an alcohol, drug, or urine screening test if the person's urine was expelled or withdrawn before collection of the urine specimen for the test.
(c) This section does not apply to urine, synthetic urine, or a urine additive that is manufactured, marketed, sold, distributed, used, or possessed solely for educational, medical, or scientific research.
(d)(1) On a first conviction of a violation of subsection (b), the person is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.
(2) On a second or subsequent conviction of subsection (b), the person is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(e) A person who collects urine specimens for alcohol, drug, or urine screening tests who knows or has reasonable cause to suspect that a person has used synthetic urine or a urine additive to defraud an alcohol, drug, or urine screening test in violation of subsection (b) shall report that knowledge or suspicion to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
Last modified: May 3, 2021