For the purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the following respective meanings:
(1) ANCILLARY IMPROVEMENTS. Educational and related facilities of every kind including, but without limitation to, classrooms, scientific and other laboratories, libraries, auditoriums, gymnasiums, cafeterias, dining rooms, dormitories, student and faculty apartments, student union buildings, recreational and social facilities, student and faculty infirmaries and clinics and facilities for washing, laundering and cleaning clothing and fabrics of every kind, or any combination of any thereof, and shall also include equipment and furniture and fixtures used or useful in educational and related facilities of every kind. Nothing herein shall be construed as authorizing the construction of buildings for primarily commercial purposes.
(2) APPLICANT. A natural person who files a written application with the governing body of any municipality in accordance with the provisions of Section 16-18-3.
(3) AUTHORITY. Any public corporation organized pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(4) BOARD. The board of directors of an authority.
(5) BONDS. Bonds, notes and certificates representing an obligation to pay money.
(6) CONSTRUCTION and CONSTRUCT:
a. The construction of new buildings and the expansion, remodeling and alteration of existing buildings; and
b. The equipment and furnishing of new buildings and existing buildings, whether or not expanded, remodeled or altered.
(7) COUNTY. Any county in the state.
(8) DETERMINING MUNICIPALITY. Any municipality the governing body of which shall have made findings and determinations of fact in accordance with the provisions of Section 16-18-3.
(9) DIRECTOR. A member of the board of directors of the authority.
(10) EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS. Every college, university, graduate school, professional school, junior college, trade school, elementary school, secondary school, and every institution for education and training of the deaf, blind or mentally retarded, heretofore or hereafter established or acquired under statutory authorization of the Legislature of Alabama and existing as public institutions of learning supported in substantial part by state appropriations or by revenues derived from taxation.
(11) GOVERNING BODY. The council, commission or other like governing body of a municipality.
(12) INCORPORATORS. The persons forming a public corporation organized pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(13) MUNICIPALITY. An incorporated city or town of the state.
(14) PERSON. A natural person, a public or private corporation, a municipality, a county or an agency, department or instrumentality of the state or of a county or municipality.
(15) PROPERTY. Real and personal property, and interests therein.
(16) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(17) HEREIN, HEREBY, HEREUNDER, HEREOF. Refer to this chapter as an entirety and not solely to the particular section or portion thereof in which any such word is used.
The definitions set forth herein shall be deemed applicable whether the words defined are used in the singular or plural. Whenever used herein, any pronoun or pronouns shall be deemed to include both singular and plural and to cover all genders.
Whenever in this chapter any power is given to an educational institution, or whenever reference is made to any action by an educational institution, such power shall extend to and may be exercised by the board of trustees or other body having general supervisory power over the educational institution.
Whenever in this chapter any power is given to an authority to lease ancillary improvements to an educational institution or to an educational institution to lease such ancillary improvements from an authority, such power shall include the power of such authority (1) to lease such ancillary improvements to, and the power of such educational institution to sublease such ancillary improvements from, a private person, firm, corporation, or other entity; and (2) to lease such ancillary improvements to a private person, firm, corporation, or other entity without the requirement of a sublease of such ancillary improvements to an educational institution, provided that the ancillary improvements shall be designed and operated for the use and benefit of an educational institution or its faculty, staff, employees, or students. All such lease and sublease agreements with educational institutions and all such ancillary improvements shall be approved by the board of trustees or other governing body of the educational institution.
Last modified: May 3, 2021