Code of Alabama - Title 17: Elections - Section 17-14-31 - Certification of names of candidates; nominating petitions; names of electors; statement of electors

Section 17-14-31 - Certification of names of candidates; nominating petitions; names of electors; statement of electors.

(a) When presidential electors are to be chosen, the Secretary of State of Alabama shall certify to the judges of probate of the several counties the names of all candidates for President and Vice President who are nominated by any national convention or other like assembly of any political party or by written petition signed by at least 5,000 qualified voters of this state.

(b) The certificate of nomination by a political party convention must be signed by the presiding officer and secretary of the convention and by the chair of the state executive or central committee of the political party making the nomination. Any nominating petition, to be valid, must contain the signatures as well as the addresses of the petitioners. Such certificates and petitions must be filed in the office of the Secretary of State no later than the 82nd day next preceding the day fixed for the election.

(c) Each certificate of nomination and nominating petition must be accompanied by a list of the names and addresses of persons, who shall be qualified voters of this state, equal in number to the number of presidential electors to be chosen. Each person so listed shall execute the following statement which shall be attached to the certificate or petition when the same is filed with the Secretary of State: "I do hereby consent and do hereby agree to serve as elector for President and Vice President of the United States, if elected to that position, and do hereby agree that, if so elected, I shall cast my ballot as such elector for _____ for President and _____ for Vice President of the United States" (inserting in the blank spaces the respective names of the persons named as nominees for the respective offices in the certificate to which this statement is attached).

(Acts 1975, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 138, p. 370, §2; Act 2003-311, p. 731, §1; §17-19-2; amended and renumbered by Act 2006-570, p. 1331, §72.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021