For the purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) CAPABLE OF USE AS HUMAN FOOD. Such term shall apply to any catfish or part or product thereof, unless it is denatured or otherwise identified as required by regulations prescribed by the commissioner to deter its use as human food or unless it is naturally inedible by humans.
(2) CATFISH. Any species of the scientific order Siluriformes or family Anarhichadidae.
(3) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama.
(4) DIRECT RETAIL SALE. The sale of catfish products individually or in small quantities directly to the consumer.
(5) DISTRIBUTOR. Any person offering for sale, exchange or barter any catfish product destined for direct retail sale in the State of Alabama.
(6) LABEL. A display of written, printed or graphic matter upon or affixed to the container in which a catfish product is offered for direct retail sale.
(7) LABELING. All labels and other written, printed or graphic matter upon a catfish product or any of its containers or wrappers offered for direct retail sale.
(8) PAY POND. A circumscribed body of water owned by a person and operated solely for recreational fishing purposes on a commercial basis for profit.
(9) PERSON. Any individual, partnership, corporation or association or other legal entity.
(10) PROCESSOR. Any person engaged in handling, storing, preparing, manufacturing, packing or holding catfish products.
(11) PRODUCER. Any person engaged in the business of harvesting catfish, by any method, intended for direct retail sale.
(12) PRODUCT. Any catfish product capable of use as human food which is made wholly or in part from any catfish or portion thereof, except products which contain catfish only in small proportions or historically have not been, in the judgment of the commissioner, considered by consumers as products of the commercial catfish industry and which are exempted from definition as a catfish product by the commissioner under such conditions as he may prescribe to assure that the catfish or portions thereof contained therein are not adulterated and that such products are not represented as catfish products.
(13) PRODUCT NAME. The name of the catfish item intended for retail sale which identifies it as to kind, class or specific use.
(14) RETAILER. Any person offering for sale catfish products to individual consumers and representing the last sale prior to human consumption; except, that restaurants and other eating establishments are hereby excluded.
Last modified: May 3, 2021