The Alabama Affordable Housing Act is established for the following purposes:
(1) To increase the production of housing units and home ownership and to preserve the supply of rental housing that is affordable to individuals and families with incomes at or below 60 percent of the median family income.
(2) To maintain and rehabilitate existing affordable housing units to insure their continued availability to individuals and families with incomes at or below 60 percent of the median family income.
(3) To serve individuals and families living at or below 60 percent of the median family income. No less than 50 percent of the resources placed into the fund each year shall be used to serve individuals and families with household incomes at or below 30 percent of the median family income as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
(4) To annually distribute, when possible, a majority of the proceeds from the trust fund to eligible nonprofit developers.
(5) To annually distribute no less than 40 percent of funds for activities that provide housing and housing assistance to individuals and families in rural areas and small cities that are classified as the Balance of State under the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Home Investment Partnership Program.
Last modified: May 3, 2021