For the purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) ASSISTANCE ANIMAL. An animal, other than a service animal, that qualifies as a reasonable accommodation under the Fair Housing Act, Public Law 90-284, 42 U.S.C. § 3601, et seq., or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Public Law 93-112, 29 U.S.C. § 794. This term includes an emotional support animal when the animal qualifies as a reasonable accommodation.
(2) DISABILITY. A physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.
(3) LANDLORD. A person or company that owns, manages, or enforces pet policies in housing subject to the Fair Housing Act or the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
(4) RELIABLE DOCUMENTATION. Documentation allowed to be requested upon receipt of a request for reasonable accommodation under the Fair Housing Act or Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The term only includes documentation from a medical provider of the person in need of the reasonable accommodation.
(5) SERVICE ANIMAL. An animal, other than an assistance animal, that qualifies as a service animal under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The term includes those animals being trained to be a service animal.
Last modified: May 3, 2021