(a) No individual under 18 years of age shall be employed or permitted or suffered to work at any of the following occupations, positions, or places:
(1) In or about or in connection with any mine, coke breaker, coke oven, or quarry in any capacity.
(2) In wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking.
(3) In any tunnel or excavation with a depth of four feet or more.
(4) In any roofing, scaffolding, or sandblasting operations.
(5) Operating or driving any truck or heavy equipment over three tons gross weight.
(6) In logging or around any sawmill, lath mill, shingle, or cooperage-stock mill.
(7) Operating any power-driven woodworking, bakery, or paper-products machinery.
(8) Upon any steam, electric, diesel, hydraulic, or other railroad.
(9) As firefighters.
(10) Operating any stamping machines used in sheet metal or tin ware, or in paper or leather manufacturing, or washer or nut factories.
(11) In or around any steam boiler or rolling mill machinery.
(12) Operating any power-driven metal forming, cutting, straightening, drawing, punching, or shearing machines.
(13) Operating or assisting in operating any elevators, open-freight elevators, cranes, derricks, or other power-driven hoisting apparatus, with the exception of an unattended automatic passenger elevator.
(14) Operating any paper cutting, stapling, corrugating, or punching machines.
(15) Assembling, adjusting, cleaning, oiling, or servicing machinery in motion.
(16) Operating any circular saws, band saws, or guillotine shears.
(17) In or around any distillery where alcoholic beverages are manufactured, bottled, wrapped, or packed.
(18) In the manufacture, storage, or transportation of explosive components.
(19) In the manufacturing of brick, tile, or similar products.
(20) In the manufacture or transportation of dangerous or toxic chemicals or compounds.
(21) In, about, or in connection with, poisonous dyes, dangerous or poisonous gases, compositions of lye in dangerous quantities, dangerous or poisonous acids, or pesticides.
(22) In any activity involving exposure to radioactive substances or ionizing radiation.
(23) Around asbestos or any other cancer-causing agents.
(24) Operating or assisting in operating any job, cylinder, or offset printing presses.
(25) In any activity involving slaughtering, butchering, and meat cutting.
(26) In any place or occupation which the department may declare dangerous to life or limb or injurious to the health or morals of individuals under 18 years of age.
(b) This section shall not apply to individuals 16 or 17 years of age enrolled in work-study, student-learner, cooperative education, youth registered apprentice programs, youth industry registry apprenticeship programs, or similar programs in which employment and work-based learning are an integral part of the course of study and are registered by the Alabama Office of Apprenticeship or to employment procured and supervised through the Alabama Department of Education and approved by the Alabama Department of Labor.
Last modified: May 3, 2021