Code of Alabama - Title 25: Industrial Relations and Labor - Section 25-9-63 - Mine disasters

Section 25-9-63 - Mine disasters.

(a) If a disaster occurs in a mine, the chief of the division and the nearest office of the United States Bureau of Mines shall be notified by the quickest available means. All facilities of the mine shall be made available for rescue and recovery operations.

(b) No work other than rescue and recovery work may be attempted or started until and unless authorized by the chief of the division or his designated representatives.

(c) After a disaster, operations may not be resumed until authorized by the chief of the division.

(d) If an explosion occurs in a mine, the fan shall not be reversed except by authority of the official in charge of disaster work and then only after a study of the effect of reversing the fan on survivors who are still underground.

(e) The chief of the division shall make available all the facilities at his disposal in effecting rescue and recovery work, and shall act as a consultant or take personal charge where, in his opinion, the circumstances warrant or where the managerial official's status is either incompetent or inadequate.

(f) The orders of the official in charge of disaster work shall be respected and obeyed by all persons engaged in rescue and recovery work.

(g) The chief of the division shall maintain an up-to-date disaster plan for prompt and adequate employment at any coal mine in the state. All employees of the division shall be kept fully informed and trained in their respective duties in making the disaster plan work effectively. The division's plan shall be published annually and furnished to all operators of coal mines and to representatives of the employees. Changes in the plan shall be published promptly when made and furnished to all operators of coal mines and to representatives of the employees.

(Acts 1949, No. 207, p. 242, §12.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021