When used in this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) BREWER. Every person, firm, association or corporation that manufactures fermented liquors of any name or description from malt, wholly or in part, or from any substitute therefor.
(2) DISTILLER. Every person, firm, association or corporation that produces distilled spirits or who brews or makes mash, wort or wash fit for distillation or for the production of spirits or who, by any process of evaporation, separates alcoholic spirits from any fermented substance or who, making or keeping mash, wort or wash, has also in possession or use a still.
(3) LIQUOR NUISANCES.
a. Any rooms or structures used for the unlawful manufacture, sale, furnishing, distilling, rectifying, brewing or keeping of liquors or beverages that are prohibited by the laws of Alabama to be manufactured, sold or otherwise disposed of in this state;
b. All houses, shops or places where such prohibited liquors and beverages or any of them are sold, bartered, exchanged or otherwise disposed of to be drunk on or near the premises or where such prohibited liquors, liquids or beverages are kept for the purpose of sale or other disposition thereof in violation of law;
c. All places of resort where persons are permitted to resort for the purpose of drinking such liquors or beverages on or about the premises;
d. Any unlawful drinking place that is kept or maintained in violation of the law of the state;
e. All restaurants, hotels and public eating places where the prohibited liquors and beverages or any of them are sold or served for beverage purposes;
f. All places where business is carried on by a wholesale or retail dealer in liquors or by a wholesale or retail dealer in malt liquors or by a brewer or distiller or rectifier of spirits in violation of the law of the state; and
g. All warehouses or storage places where the prohibited liquors and beverages or any of them are kept or stored or received on consignment or for distribution or delivery contrary to the law of the state.
(4) OTHERWISE DISPOSE OF. Such term, following the words sell, offer for sale or keep for sale, and following the words sold, offered for sale or kept for sale, when employed in any warrant, process, affidavit, indictment, information or complaint or other pleading in any judicial proceeding or in any judgment shall include and be deemed to include barter, exchange, giving away, furnishing or any manner of disposition by which said liquors and beverages may pass unlawfully from one person to another.
(5) PERSON or PARTY. Such terms, when employed alone, shall include a firm, corporation or association of persons.
(6) PROHIBITED LIQUORS AND BEVERAGES.
a. Alcohol, alcoholic liquors, spirituous liquors and all mixed liquors any part of which is spirituous;
b. Foreign or domestic spirits or rectified or distilled spirits, absinthe, whiskey, brandy, rum and gin;
c. Vinous liquors and beverages;
d. Malt, fermented or brewed liquors of any name or description manufactured from malt wholly or in part or from any substitute therefor;
e. Beer, lager beer, porter and ale and other brewed or fermented liquors and beverages by whatever name called;
f. Hop jack, hop ale, hop weiss, hop tea, malt tonic or any other beverage which is the production of maltose or glucose or in which maltose or glucose is a substantial ingredient;
g. Any intoxicating bitters or beverages by whatever name called; and
h. All liquors, liquids, drinks or beverages made in imitation of or intended as a substitute for beer, ale, rum, gin, whiskey or for any other alcoholic, spirituous, vinous or malt liquor and any liquor, drink or liquid made or used for beverage purposes containing any alcohol.
(7) RETAIL DEALER IN LIQUORS. Every person, firm, association or corporation that sells or offers for sale any foreign or domestic distilled spirits or wines in lesser quantities than five gallons at the same time.
(8) RETAIL DEALER IN MALT LIQUORS. Every person, firm, association or corporation that sells or offers for sale malt liquors in lesser quantities than five gallons at one time.
(9) UNLAWFUL DRINKING PLACES.
a. Any place or resort where the prohibited liquors or beverages or any of them are kept to be drunk upon or about the premises by persons resorting there for that purpose;
b. Any club room or other place in which are received or kept for the purpose of barter or sale or use or gift as a beverage or for distribution or division among or furnishing to or for use by members of any club or association of persons by any means whatsoever the prohibited liquors and beverages or any of them, referred to in subdivision (6) of this section; and
c. Any club room or room of any association of persons in which said prohibited liquors or beverages or any of them are kept or stored for the purpose of being drunk or consumed by the members of such club or other association of persons or their guests or others on the premises or at or near the place where such liquors or beverages or any of them, are kept or stored; and any place adjacent to or near the premises of any club, corporation or association or other combination of persons to which members or their guests or others, by the permission of members, resort for the purpose of drinking the prohibited liquors and beverages, or any of them that are kept at or near such place.
(10) WHOLESALE DEALER IN LIQUORS. Every person, firm, association or corporation that sells or offers for sale foreign or domestic distilled spirits or wine in quantities of not less than five gallons at the same time.
(11) WHOLESALE DEALER IN MALT LIQUORS. Every person, firm, corporation or association who sells or offers for sale malt liquors in quantities of not less than five gallons at the same time.
Last modified: May 3, 2021