For the purposes of this article, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings:
(1) APPROVED PROGRAM. A program for the education and training of assistants to physicians which has been formally approved in writing by the board.
(2) ASSISTANT TO PHYSICIAN. A person who is a graduate of an approved program, is licensed by the board, and is registered by the board to perform medical services under the supervision of a physician approved by the board to supervise the assistant.
(3) BOARD. The Board of Medical Examiners of the State of Alabama.
(4) LEGEND DRUG. Any drug, medicine, chemical, or poison, bearing on the label the words, "Caution, Federal Law prohibits dispensing without prescription" or similar words indicating that the drug, medicine, chemical, or poison may be sold or dispensed only upon the prescription of a licensed medical practitioner, except that the term legend drug shall not include any drug, substance, or compound which is listed in Schedules I through V of the Alabama Uniform Controlled Substances Act.
(5) PHYSICIAN. A person who is licensed to practice medicine in this state and is approved by the board to supervise assistants to physicians.
(6) PHYSICIAN SUPERVISION. A formal relationship between a licensed assistant to a physician and a licensed physician under which the assistant to the physician is authorized to practice as evidenced by a written job description approved in accordance with this article. Physician supervision requires that there shall be at all times a direct continuing and close supervisory relationship between the assistant to the physician and the physician to whom that assistant is registered. The term supervision does not require direct on-site supervision of the assistant to the physician; however, it does require the professional oversight and direction as may be required by the regulations and guidelines of the Board of Medical Examiners.
(7) PRESCRIBE or PRESCRIBING. The act of issuing a written prescription for a legend drug.
(8) PRESCRIPTION. An order for a legend drug which is written and signed by an assistant to a physician authorized to prescribe and administer the drugs and which is intended to be filled, compounded, or dispensed by a pharmacist.
(9) TRAINEE. A person who is currently enrolled in an approved program in this state.
Last modified: May 3, 2021