Code of Alabama - Title 34: Professions and Businesses - Section 34-29-91 - Eligibility for graduate of nonaccredited school to take examination

Section 34-29-91 - Eligibility for graduate of nonaccredited school to take examination.

A person who is a graduate of a college of veterinary medicine not accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association shall be eligible to take the regularly scheduled state licensing examination given by the board upon furnishing all the following required documents or items:

(1) The certificate of the American Veterinary Medical Association Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG).

(2) A certificate evidencing the completion of a one-year internship as required by the ECFVG in a veterinary hospital or clinic approved by the Alabama State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. This internship can be completed in more than one hospital or clinic; however, a minimum of three months shall be spent in any one place and the intern shall receive a variety of veterinary experience. This internship may commence prior to or following the national and state examinations and all shall be completed within an 18-month period. The sponsoring practitioner of the internship shall give a complete written report to the board at the completion of each three months which shall include a performance evaluation of the intern. The board shall insure that the internship was satisfactorily completed by the applicant prior to issuance of a state license. The ECFVG certificate shall be in addition to all other requirements expected for licensing of veterinarians in Alabama.

(3) Proof of his or her citizenship of the United States and of good moral character.

(Acts 1986, No. 86-500, p. 956, §32; Acts 1997, No. 97-168, p. 243, §3, Acts 1997, No. 97-249, p. 431, §1; Act 2006-590, p. 1596, §1.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021