This chapter does not prevent or restrict the practice, services, or activities of:
(1) A dietetic technician, from engaging in the practice of dietetics/nutrition under the supervision of a licensed dietitian/nutritionist provided such activities are related to employment.
(2) A student enrolled in an approved educational program in dietetics/nutrition from engaging in the practice of dietetics/nutrition under the supervision of a licensed dietitian/nutritionist provided the activities are part of such program.
(3) A dietitian/nutritionist who is serving in the armed forces or the public health services of the United States or is employed by the Veterans Administration or other federal government agencies or the cooperative extension system from engaging in the practice of dietetics/nutrition provided such practice is related to such service or employment.
(4) A duly licensed health professional from engaging in the practice of dietetics/nutrition when incidental to the practice of his/her profession, provided that such a person does not represent himself/herself as a licensed dietitian/nutritionist or as able to practice dietetics/nutrition.
(5) A government employee other than a dietitian/nutritionist, or a certified teacher employed by a federal, state, county, or municipal agency, or other political subdivision, or an elementary or secondary school, or an accredited institution of higher education, from discharging his/her official duties, provided that if such person practices dietetics/nutrition in this state outside the scope of that official duty, he/she shall be licensed under this chapter.
(6) Any person, including hospital food service managers/directors and child nutrition program managers, who has management responsibility for food service department policies, procedures, and outcomes from performing his/her job provided that such a person does not represent himself/herself as a licensed dietitian/nutritionist.
(7) Nothing in this chapter is intended to prohibit any person who does not hold himself or herself out to be a dietitian or nutritionist from furnishing general nutritional information on food, food materials, or dietary supplements or from engaging in the explanation to customers about foods or food products in connection with marketing and distribution of those products, nor to prohibit any person licensed under this chapter from engaging in the marketing and distribution of food or food products.
(8) Any person who provides weight control services provided the program has been reviewed by a dietitian/nutritionist as defined in this chapter and consultation is available from a dietitian/nutritionist. No changes in a weight control program shall be initiated without prior approval by a dietitian/nutritionist as defined in this chapter.
(9) A dietitian/nutritionist licensed under this chapter from providing nutrition counseling on health and wellness to the public as an independent agent.
Last modified: May 3, 2021