No person shall act as instructor or assistant instructor in a barber college and no barber college or owner or operator thereof shall hire or permit any person to act as an instructor or an assistant instructor at the barber college unless he or she has a current and valid certificate of registration as an instructor or assistant instructor, issued by the Board of Barber Examiners.
The board shall issue a certificate of registration as an instructor in a barber college to a person who complies with all of the following:
(1) He or she files an application with the board in such form as it may prescribe, accompanied by the required fee.
(2) He or she is of good moral character and temperate habits.
(3) He or she holds a diploma evidencing successful completion of high school, or has the equivalent education as determined by an examination conducted by the board and approved by the Vocational Educational Division of the Department of Education.
(4) He or she has held a valid certificate of registration as a barber in Alabama and has practiced barbering in Alabama for at least the last three years before issuance of the instructor's certificate.
(5) He or she has graduated from a barber college in a course embracing all the theory and scientific manipulation taught in barber schools.
(6) He or she satisfactorily passes an examination conducted by the board to determine his or her fitness to be an instructor.
Assistant instructors must comply with each of the above requirements in order to obtain a certificate of registration as an assistant instructor; except, that they need have held a barber's certificate and practiced barbering in Alabama for only 18 months prior to the issuance of the assistant instructor's certificate of registration.
Last modified: May 3, 2021