(a) The board shall exercise, subject to this chapter, the following powers and duties:
(1) Adopt rules for its government as deemed necessary and proper.
(2) Prescribe rules for qualification and licensing of dentists and dental hygienists.
(3) Conduct or participate in examinations to ascertain the qualification and fitness of applicants for licenses as dentists and dental hygienists.
(4) Make rules and regulations regarding sanitation.
(5) Formulate rules and regulations by which dental schools and colleges are approved, and formulate rules and regulations by which training, educational, technical, vocational, or any other institution which provides instruction for dental assistants, dental laboratory technicians, or any other paradental personnel are approved.
(6) Grant licenses, issue license certificates, teaching permits, and annual registration certificates in conformity with this chapter to such qualified dentists and dental hygienists.
(7) Conduct hearings or proceedings to impose the penalties specified in Section 34-9-18.
(8)a. Employ necessary persons to assist in performing its duties in the administration and enforcement of this chapter, and to provide offices, furniture, fixtures, supplies, printing, or secretarial service to these persons and expend necessary funds.
b. Employ an attorney or attorneys, subject to the approval of the Attorney General, to advise and assist in the carrying out and enforcing of the provisions of this chapter. Provided, however, if the board contracts with an outside attorney to be general counsel to the board, that attorney or any member of a law firm with which he or she is associated shall not function as the board's prosecutor at disciplinary hearings.
(9)a. Investigate alleged violations of this chapter and institute or have instituted before the board or the proper court appropriate proceedings regarding the violation.
b. Authorize and employ investigators who comply with the Peace Officers' Minimum Standards and Training Act to exercise the powers of a peace officer in investigating alleged violations of the drug or controlled substances laws by persons licensed pursuant to this chapter, including the powers of arrest and inspection of documents.
(10) Adopt rules and regulations to implement this chapter.
(11) Publish, on a quarterly basis, all minutes, except minutes of executive sessions, financial reports, schedules of meetings, including anticipated executive sessions, and other pertinent information on the board's website no later than 90 days following the date of occurrence. In addition, publish or post annually the rules and regulations promulgated by the board, a copy of the Dental Practice Act, and a list of all persons licensed to practice under this chapter.
(12) Attend meetings, seminars, workshops, or events that may improve the function and efficiency of the board or improve the ability of the board to enforce and administer this chapter.
(b) The board, in exercising its powers and duties, shall adhere to guidelines and proceedings of the State Ethics Commission as provided in Chapter 25 of Title 36. The board may adopt rules for the purpose of establishing additional ethical guidelines.
Last modified: May 3, 2021