(a) This section shall apply only to the City of Goodwater in Coosa County.
(b)(1) The voters of the City of Goodwater may authorize the sale of alcoholic beverages within the municipality on Sunday by an election pursuant to this section, in the following manner:
The governing body of the City of Goodwater, by resolution, may call an election for the municipality to determine the sentiment of the voters of the municipality residing within the corporate limits, as to whether or not alcoholic beverages can be legally sold or distributed on Sunday within the municipality.
(2) On the ballot to be used for such election, the question shall be in the following form: "Do you favor the legal sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages within this municipality, on Sunday between 1:00 P.M. and 9:30 P.M. and on those Sundays on which occurs New Year's Eve (December 31), after 1:00 P.M.? Yes ___ No ___."
(3) The election shall be held and the officers appointed to hold the election in the manner provided by law for holding other municipal elections, and the returns thereof tabulated and results certified as provided by law for municipal elections. Any Sunday sales election shall be held as provided in this section as a special election or at any subsequent municipal election following the date of the resolution.
(4) Notice of the election shall be given by the governing body of the municipality by publication or by posting the notice at the town or city hall apprising the voters of the municipality, at least three weeks before the date of the election, that an election shall be held to determine whether alcoholic beverages may be sold in the municipality on Sunday. The cost of the election shall be paid out of the general fund of the municipality.
(5) Only qualified voters of the municipality may vote in the election. If a majority of the voters voting in the municipal election vote "Yes," alcoholic beverages can be legally sold or dispensed within the corporate limits of the municipality on Sunday by licensees of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board and the City of Goodwater serving the general public in accordance with applicable laws and regulations between the hours of 1:00 P.M. and 9:30 P.M. Except as authorized by law or during such hours, it shall be unlawful for any licensed vendor to sell, dispense, or permit the consumption of alcoholic beverages on Sunday. Provided, that on those Sundays on which occurs New Year's Eve, December 31, alcoholic beverages may be sold or dispensed by such licensees pursuant to applicable laws and regulations any time after 1:00 P.M. The municipality may enact, by ordinance, such policies it deems appropriate to regulate any aspect of Sunday alcoholic beverage sales.
(6) If a majority of the voters voting in the municipal election vote "No," alcoholic beverages may not be sold or dispensed in the municipality on Sunday after the hour of 2:00 A.M., except as otherwise authorized by law or by subsequent election which legalizes the sale and dispensing of alcoholic beverages on Sunday.
(c) The provisions of this section are cumulative and supplemental to the present power and authority of the City of Goodwater and is not intended to, nor shall it be interpreted so as to, repeal any existing power or authority of the City of Goodwater now permitted under the general laws of the state, or under any local or special act of the Legislature.
Last modified: May 3, 2021