Code of Alabama - Title 45: Local Laws - Section 45-37A-52.91 - Statement of candidacy

Section 45-37A-52.91 - Statement of candidacy.

Any person desiring to become a candidate at any election for the office of mayor may become such candidate by filing in the office of the judge of probate of the county in which such city is situated, a statement in writing of such candidacy, accompanied by an affidavit taken and certified by such judge of probate or by a notary public that such person is duly qualified to hold the office for which he or she desires to be a candidate. Such statement shall be filed at least 45 days before the day set for such election and shall be in substantially the following form: State of Alabama, ______ County. I, the undersigned, being first duly sworn, depose and say that I am a citizen of the City of ______, in the state and county, and reside at ______ in the City of ______, that I desire to become a candidate for the office of mayor in that city at the election of the office to be held on the ______ day of August, next and that I am duly qualified to hold the office if elected thereto, and I hereby request that my name be printed upon the official ballot at the election. Signed ______; Subscribed and sworn to before me by ______, on this ______ day of ______, 2 _, and filed in this office for record on that day. ______, Judge of Probate. The statement shall be accompanied by a qualifying fee in an amount equal to three hundred dollars ($300) which qualifying fee shall be paid over by the judge of probate to the general fund of the city. At every such election all ballots to be used by voters shall be printed and prepared by the election commission or other body or official charged by law with the duty of conducting elections and at the expense of the city, and shall contain the names of all candidates directly underneath the words, for mayor. No names shall appear upon the ballot as a candidate for election except the names of such persons as have become candidates according to provisions as above set forth; no ballot shall be used at any such election except the official ballot prepared by the election commission or other body or official charged by law with the duty of conducting elections, except that the names of candidates may be suitably placed on voting machines if such machines are used to conduct such election.

(Acts 1955, No. 452, p. 1004, §4.02; Acts 1965, No. 131, p. 197, §1; Acts 1969, No. 507, p. 964, §4; Act 2012-223, p. 408, §5.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021