Code of Alabama - Title 6: Civil Practice - Chapter 11 - Damages
- Article 1 Structured Damages.
- Article 2 Punitive Damages.
- Section 6-11-20 Punitive damages not to be awarded other than where clear and convincing evidence proven; definitions
(a) Punitive damages may not be awarded in any civil action, except civil actions for wrongful death pursuant to Sections 6-5-391 and 6-5-410, other than...
- Section 6-11-21 Punitive damages not to exceed certain limits
(a) Except as provided in subsections (b), (d), and (j), in all civil actions where an entitlement to punitive damages shall have been established under...
- Section 6-11-22 Grounds for mistrial if limitations mentioned in presence of jury
Argument or mention, in the presence of the jury, of the classifications or limitations established in Section 6-11-21 is not permissible and shall be ground...
- Section 6-11-23 No presumption of correctness; court to conduct hearings; admissible relevant evidence; trial court to independently reassess award of punitive damages
(a) No presumption of correctness shall apply as to the amount of punitive damages awarded by the trier of the fact. (b) In all cases...
- Section 6-11-24 No presumption of correctness to apply to damages on appeal
(a) On appeal, no presumption of correctness shall apply to the amount of punitive damages awarded. (b) The appellate court shall independently reassess the nature,...
- Section 6-11-25 Ability of court to set aside damages not limited
Nothing in this article is intended to limit the ability of a trial or appellate court to set aside or reverse an award of punitive...
- Section 6-11-26 No punitive damages awarded against state or agency thereof
Punitive damages may not be awarded against the State of Alabama or any county or municipality thereof, or any agency thereof, except any entity covered...
- Section 6-11-27 Principal, master, etc., not liable for punitive damages for conduct of agent, servant, etc.; exceptions
(a) A principal, employer, or other master shall not be liable for punitive damages for intentional wrongful conduct or conduct involving malice based upon acts...
- Section 6-11-28 No cause of action created
Nothing contained in this article shall be construed to grant or create a cause of action or right to recover punitive damages.
- Section 6-11-29 Wrongful death actions not affected
This article shall not pertain to or affect any civil actions for wrongful death pursuant to Sections 6-5-391 and 6-5-410, as amended.
- Section 6-11-30 Effective date
This article shall not affect the rights of any person if such rights accrued prior to June 11, 1987.
- Article 3 Structural Settlement Protection Act.
Last modified: May 3, 2021