(a) There is created within the Marine Resources Fund, a special account to be known as the Alabama Marine Resources Endowment Fund. The assets of the fund shall consist of all of the following:
(1) The proceeds from the sale of the lifetime resident saltwater fishing license and two hundred fifty dollars ($250) of the proceeds from the sale of the combination lifetime freshwater and saltwater fishing, combination lifetime saltwater fishing and hunting, and combination lifetime freshwater and saltwater fishing and hunting licenses, provided in subsections (a), (b), (c), and (d) of Section 9-11-65.2.
(2) The proceeds of any gifts, grants, and contributions to the state which are specifically designated for inclusion in the fund.
(3) Any other sources as may be specified by law.
(b) The fund shall be administered by the Alabama Marine Resources Endowment Fund Board of Trustees, which shall consist of the Director of Finance, the Secretary Treasurer of the State Employees' Retirement System, and the Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. The board of trustees shall have the power and authority to invest and reinvest the assets of the fund within the guidelines, limitations, and restrictions that govern investment of the State Employees' Retirement Fund.
(c) The Alabama Marine Resources Endowment Fund is declared to be a special trust derived from a contractual relationship between the state and the members of the public whose license fees or other contributions accrue to the fund. The following limitations and restrictions are placed on expenditures from the fund:
(1) Any limitations or restrictions specified by donors on the uses of the income derived from gifts, grants, and voluntary contributions shall be respected, but shall not be binding.
(2) Expenditures or disbursements shall not be made from the principal of the fund except as otherwise provided by law.
(d) The income derived annually from the Alabama Marine Resources Endowment Fund shall be credited to the Marine Resources Fund regular accounts and expended as provided by law.
Last modified: May 3, 2021