(a) A qualified agency may apply to the department and obtain a permit that authorizes the purchase, possession, and use by the agency of sodium pentobarbital, sodium pentobarbital with lidocaine, and other drugs authorized in regulations adopted by the department for the purpose of euthanizing injured, sick, or abandoned domestic animals in the lawful possession of the agency. To qualify to obtain the permit, the agency shall certify that it will
(1) comply with applicable federal laws related to the use of the drugs; and
(2) not permit an employee to administer the drugs unless the employee has successfully completed a euthanasia technician certification course approved by the National Animal Control Association, the American Humane Association, or the Humane Society of the United States.
(b) The department may revoke or suspend a permit or take another disciplinary action under AS 08.01.075 if it determines that the agency or an employee of the agency
(1) improperly used sodium pentobarbital, sodium pentobarbital with lidocaine, or another drug authorized for use under this section;
(2) failed to follow federal or state laws regarding proper storage and handling of the drugs;
(3) allowed an employee to administer the drugs before the employee successfully completed the certification course described in (a)(2) of this section; or
(4) violated this title or a regulation adopted under this title.
(c) In this section, "agency" means an animal control agency of a municipality or recognized governmental entity or an entity that has contracted with a municipality or recognized governmental entity to perform animal control or animal euthanasia services.
(d) The department may adopt regulations to implement this section.Section: Previous 08.02.010 08.02.011 08.02.020 08.02.025 08.02.030 08.02.040 08.02.050 08.02.090 Next
Last modified: November 15, 2016