Arizona Revised Statutes § 23-1028 False Statements Or Representations To Obtain Compensation; Forfeiture; Violation; Classification; Sworn Statement; Definition

23-1028. False statements or representations to obtain compensation; forfeiture; violation; classification; sworn statement; definition

A. If in order to obtain any compensation, benefit or payment under this chapter, either for himself or for another, any person knowingly makes a false statement or representation, the person is guilty of a class 6 felony, and, if the person is a claimant for compensation, the claimant shall also forfeit all right to any future temporary or permanent disability compensation for the claim on which the false statement or representation was made after conviction of the offense. Forfeiture pursuant to this section does not terminate on any subsequent designation of the offense as a misdemeanor.

B. Notwithstanding section 13-801, a sentence to pay a fine for a violation of this section by a claimant or co-employee shall be a sentence to pay an amount fixed by the court of not more than fifty thousand dollars.

C. Any person who commits a violation under this section is also subject to the penalties prescribed in sections 20-466.02 and 20-466.04.

D. A claimant for compensation shall personally sign any monthly or annual income status report that requests the claimant to report employment status or earnings to the insurance carrier or self-insured employer, including the annual report of earnings pursuant to section 23-1047. The reporting document shall contain the following statement:

Any person who knowingly makes a false statement or representation to obtain any compensation, benefit or payment is guilty of a class 6 felony and is subject to up to one and one-half years in prison, a fifty thousand dollar fine and forfeiture of benefits. By my signature below, I am applying for all benefits to which I may be entitled and I swear that the statements made on this application are true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge.

E. For the purposes of this section, " statement" includes any notice, proof of injury, bill for services, payment for services, hospital or doctor records, x-rays, test reports, medical or legal expenses, or other evidence of loss or injury, or other expense or payment.

Section: Previous  23-1021.01  23-1022  23-1023  23-1024  23-1025  23-1026  23-1027  23-1028  23-1029  23-1030  23-1031  23-1041  23-1042  23-1043  23-1043.01  Next

Last modified: October 13, 2016