Arizona Revised Statutes § 27-318 Abandoned And Inactive Mines To Be Secured; Inspector Authority; Violation; Classification

27-318. Abandoned and inactive mines to be secured; inspector authority; violation; classification

A. Every mine operator or former mine operator or claimant who owns a mine or mining claim or possesses a mine or mining claim under lease, contract, permit or otherwise, who knowingly permits the existence on the premises of an abandoned or inactive mining shaft, portal, pit or other excavation which is dangerous to persons legally on the premises, who fails to cover, fence, fill or otherwise secure it and post warning signs, within sixty days of notification by the inspector and who fails to keep it so protected is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor. If it is impossible or impracticable to comply with this subsection within the required sixty days, the operator may submit a written plan of action to the inspector which specifically outlines the measures that will be taken and the number of additional days necessary to comply with this section. In no case may the time extension granted by the inspector exceed an additional one hundred eighty days.

B. The inspector may enter on such land to inspect for dangerous conditions which may present a health and safety hazard to the public. If hazards exist, the inspector may erect warning signs across or near the entrance of any mine shaft, portal, pit or other mine opening prohibiting the entry of unauthorized persons or erect other protective devices as necessary.

C. If the mine operator cannot be located through reasonable efforts, the owner of record is the responsible party for the purposes of this section. If neither the mine operator or owner of record can be located through reasonable efforts, the inspector shall erect warning signs across or near the entrance of any mine shaft, portal, pit or other mine opening prohibiting entry of unauthorized persons or erect other protective devices as necessary.

D. A person who knowingly and without authority removes, destroys or tampers with any warning sign, covering, fencing or other protection placed on, around or over any shaft, portal or other excavation is guilty of a class 6 felony.

E. Any reasonable and necessary cost incurred by the state mine inspector pursuant to this section may be recovered in a civil action brought by the attorney general against any responsible party.

F. Inert material, as defined in section 49-701, including concrete, asphaltic pavement, brick, rock, gravel, sand, soil and metal if used as reinforcement in concrete and glass may be used as fill material for the closure of abandoned mines with final cover consisting of earthen material that is at least ten feet deep.

Section: Previous  27-311  27-312  27-313  27-314  27-315  27-316  27-317  27-318  27-321  27-322  27-323  27-324  27-325  27-341  27-342  Next

Last modified: October 13, 2016