8-172. Interstate compacts; requirements; optional contents
The department may enter into a compact with other states to provide for the reciprocal enforcement of adoption assistance agreements. A compact entered into pursuant to this section shall contain the following:
1. A provision making it available for joinder by all states.
2. A provision or provisions for withdrawal from the compact on written notice to the parties no sooner than one year from the date of the notice.
3. A requirement that the protections afforded by or pursuant to the compact continue in force for the duration of the adoption assistance and are applicable to all children and their adoptive parents who on the effective date of the state's withdrawal from the compact are receiving adoption assistance from a party state other than the one in which they are residents and have their principal place of abode.
4. A requirement that each instance of adoption assistance to which the compact applies is covered by an adoption assistance agreement in writing between the adoptive parents and the state child welfare agency of the state that provides the adoption assistance and that this agreement is expressly for the benefit of the adopted child and is enforceable by the adoptive parents and the state agency providing the adoption assistance.
5. Other provisions necessary to implement the compact.Section: Previous 8-161 8-162 8-163 8-164 8-165 8-166 8-171 8-172 8-173 8-201 8-201.01 8-202 8-203 8-203.01 8-204 Next
Last modified: October 13, 2016