Arkansas Code § 16-17-1110 - Organization and Designation

The following pilot district courts which are in existence as of January 1, 2011, and being served by twenty-five (25) pilot district court judges shall continue operation as state district courts and shall hereinafter be organized and designated in the following numbered judicial districts:

(1) (A) The First District is composed of Benton County.

(B) The First District has thirteen (13) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Rogers;

(ii) One (1) located in Bentonville;

(iii) One (1) located in Siloam Springs;

(iv) One (1) located in Gentry;

(v) One (1) located in Decatur;

(vi) One (1) located in Bethel Heights;

(vii) One (1) located in Cave Springs;

(viii) One (1) located in Centerton;

(ix) One (1) located in Gravette;

(x) One (1) located in Little Flock;

(xi) One (1) located in Lowell;

(xii) One (1) located in Pea Ridge; and

(xiii) One (1) located in Sulphur Springs.

(C) (i) The district is served by four (4) state district court judges.

(ii) The judgeship which is presently held by Brad Karren shall hereinafter be designated as Division 1.

(iii) The judgeship which is presently held by John Skaggs shall hereinafter be designated as Division 2.

(iv) The judgeship which is presently held by Stephen Thomas shall hereinafter be designated as Division 3.

(v) The judgeship which is presently held by Jeff Conner shall hereinafter be designated as Division 4.

(D) The assignment of judges to departments under subdivision (1)(B) of this section is determined by the mutual agreement of the state district court judges.

(E) For the purpose of venue, the district court boundaries in Benton County are as follows:

(i) Division 1 -- Rogers District Court:

(a) All of District 94, District 95, and District 96 of the House of Representatives as drawn by The Board of Apportionment in 2002;

(b) That part of District 98 of the House of Representatives as drawn by The Board of Apportionment in 2002 that is in Benton County Quorum Court District 1 as established by the Benton County Election Commission;

(c) That part of Benton County Quorum Court District 6 as established by the Benton County Election Commission that is in District 96 and District 98 of the House of Representatives as drawn by The Board of Apportionment in 2002; and

(d) All of precinct 43, precinct 44, and precinct 49 as they existed on January 1, 2011;

(ii) Division 2 -- Bentonville District Court:

(a) All of District 7, District 8, District 9, and District 10 except for the now-existing precinct 22, of the Benton County Quorum Court as established by the Benton County Election Commission;

(b) All of District 99 of the House of Representatives as drawn by The Board of Apportionment in 2002 except for the now-existing precinct 43, precinct 44, and precinct 49; and

(c) All of precinct 45 as it existed on January 1, 2011;

(iii) Division 3 -- Siloam Springs District Court:

(a) All of District 97 of the House of Representatives as drawn by The Board of Apportionment in 2002; and

(b) All of precinct 7, precinct 14, precinct 16, and precinct 17 as they existed on January 1, 2011; and

(iv) Division 4 -- Benton County West District Court:

(a) All of Benton County Quorum Court District 11 as established by the Benton County Election Commission; and

(b) All of precinct 6, precinct 15, precinct 18, precinct 19, and precinct 22 as they existed on January 1, 2011.

(F) The First District judges are elected districtwide.

(G) The First District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(2) (A) The Fourth District is composed of Boone County.

(B) Beginning January 1, 2017, the Fourth District shall be composed of the counties of Boone, Newton, and Searcy.

(C) The Fourth District has two (2) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Alpena; and

(ii) One (1) located in Harrison.

(D) Beginning January 1, 2017, the Fourth District shall have two (2) additional departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Marshall; and

(ii) One (1) located in Jasper.

(E) The Fourth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(F) The Fourth District judge is elected districtwide.

(G) The Fourth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(3) (A) The Sixth District is composed of the Greenwood District of Sebastian County and the Fort Smith District of Sebastian County.

(B) The Greenwood District of Sebastian County has one (1) district court with one (1) judge and three (3) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Greenwood;

(ii) One (1) located in Barling; and

(iii) One (1) located in Central City.

(C) (i) The Fort Smith District of Sebastian County has one (1) district court with three (3) departments and one (1) judge for each department.

(ii) The judgeship which is presently held by David Saxon shall hereinafter be designated Division 1.

(iii) The judgeship which is presently held by Ben Beland shall hereinafter be designated Division 2.

(iv) The judgeship which is presently held by Claire Borengasser shall hereinafter be designated Division 3.

(D) The judge of any district court in Sebastian County shall be elected by the electors of the judicial district in which the court is located.

(E) The jurisdiction of the district courts in Sebastian County shall be limited to the judicial district in which the court is located;

(4) (A) The Eighth District is composed of Pope County.

(B) The Eighth District has five (5) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Russellville;

(ii) One (1) located in Atkins;

(iii) One (1) located in Dover;

(iv) One (1) located in London; and

(v) One (1) located in Pottsville.

(C) The Eighth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(D) The Eighth District judge is elected districtwide.

(E) The Eighth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(5) (A) The Tenth District is composed of Baxter County.

(B) Beginning January 1, 2017, the Tenth District shall be composed of the counties of Baxter and Marion.

(C) The Tenth District has seven (7) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Briarcliff;

(ii) One (1) located in Cotter;

(iii) One (1) located in Gassville;

(iv) One (1) located in Lakeview;

(v) One (1) located in Mountain Home;

(vi) One (1) located in Norfork; and

(vii) One (1) located in Salesville.

(D) Beginning January 1, 2017, the Tenth District shall have four (4) additional departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Yellville;

(ii) One (1) located in Bull Shoals;

(iii) One (1) located in Flippin; and

(iv) One (1) located in Summit.

(E) The Tenth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(F) The Tenth District judge is elected districtwide.

(G) The Tenth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(6) (A) The Thirteenth District is composed of Cleburne County.

(B) The Thirteenth District has four (4) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Heber Springs;

(ii) One (1) located in Greers Ferry;

(iii) One (1) located in Concord; and

(iv) One (1) located in Quitman.

(C) The Thirteenth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(D) The Thirteenth District judge is elected districtwide.

(E) The Thirteenth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(7) (A) The Fourteenth District is composed of Independence County.

(B) The Fourteenth District has one (1) department located in Batesville.

(C) The Fourteenth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(D) The Fourteenth District judge is elected districtwide.

(E) The Fourteenth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(8) (A) The Seventeenth District is composed of Greene County.

(B) The Seventeenth District has two (2) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Paragould; and

(ii) One (1) located in Marmaduke.

(C) The Seventeenth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(D) The Seventeenth District judge is elected districtwide.

(E) The Seventeenth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(9) (A) Beginning January 1, 2017, the Eighteenth District shall be composed of the Chickasawba District and the Osceola District in Mississippi County.

(B) The Eighteenth District has five (5) departments in the Chickasawba District as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Blytheville;

(ii) One (1) located in Manila;

(iii) One (1) located in Leachville;

(iv) One (1) located in Gosnell; and

(v) One (1) located in Dell.

(C) The Eighteenth District has two (2) departments in the Osceola District as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Osceola; and

(ii) One (1) located in Joiner.

(D) The Eighteenth District is served by two (2) state district court judges, with one (1) elected from the Chickasawba District and one (1) elected from the Osceola District.

(E) Each district court within the Eighteenth District only has jurisdiction within each of the district court's respective district;

(10) (A) The Twentieth District is composed of Poinsett County.

(B) The Twentieth District has six (6) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Marked Tree;

(ii) One (1) located in Trumann;

(iii) One (1) located in Tyronza;

(iv) One (1) located in Lepanto;

(v) One (1) located in Harrisburg; and

(vi) One (1) located in Weiner.

(C) The Twentieth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(D) The Twentieth District judge is elected districtwide.

(E) The Twentieth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(11) (A) The Twenty-Fifth District is composed of St. Francis County.

(B) The Twenty-Fifth District has three (3) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Forrest City;

(ii) One (1) located in Madison; and

(iii) One (1) located in Palestine.

(C) The Twenty-Fifth District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(D) The Twenty-Fifth District judge is elected districtwide.

(E) The Twenty-Fifth District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(12) (A) The Thirty-First District is composed of Pulaski County.

(B) The Thirty-First District has ten (10) departments until January 1, 2012, and thereafter shall have eleven (11) departments, as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Jacksonville, to be known as Jacksonville District Court;

(ii) Four (4) located in Little Rock, to be known as:

(a) Little Rock District Court -- First Division;

(b) Little Rock District Court -- Second Division;

(c) Little Rock District Court -- Third Division; and

(d) Pulaski County District Court;

(iii) One (1) located in Maumelle, to be known as Maumelle District Court;

(iv) Two (2) located in North Little Rock, to be known as:

(a) North Little Rock District Court -- First Division; and

(b) North Little Rock District Court -- Second Division;

(v) One (1) located in Sherwood, to be known as Sherwood District Court;

(vi) One (1) located in Wrightsville, to be known as Wrightsville District Court; and

(vii) Effective January 1, 2012, subject to the provisions of § 16-17-1202, one (1) located in Cammack Village, to be known as Cammack Village District Court.

(C) From and after January 1, 2012, until January 1, 2017, subject to the provisions of § 16-17-1202, the Cammack Village District Court and the Wrightsville District Court shall be served by one (1) judge; otherwise, the provisions of subdivisions (12)(B)(i)-(vii) of this section will apply in the Thirty-First District.

(D) From July 27, 2011 until January 1, 2017, the Thirty-First District is served by four (4) state district judges and six (6) local district judges, as follows:

(i) The Jacksonville District Court is served by one (1) state district judge who is elected by the qualified electors of the city of Jacksonville and has territorial jurisdiction only within the city limits of Jacksonville;

(ii) The Little Rock District Court -- First Division is served by one (1) local district judge who is elected by the qualified electors of the City of Little Rock and has territorial jurisdiction only within the city limits of Little Rock;

(iii) The Little Rock District Court -- Second Division is served by one (1) local district judge who is elected by the qualified electors of the City of Little Rock and has territorial jurisdiction only within the city limits of Little Rock;

(iv) The Little Rock District Court -- Third Division is served by one (1) local district judge who is elected by the qualified electors of the City of Little Rock and has territorial jurisdiction only within the city limits of Little Rock;

(v) The Maumelle District Court is served by one (1) local district judge who is elected by the qualified electors of the City of Maumelle and has territorial jurisdiction only within the city limits of Maumelle;

(vi) The North Little Rock District Court -- First Division is served by one (1) state district judge who is elected by the qualified electors of the City of North Little Rock and has territorial jurisdiction only within the city limits of North Little Rock;

(vii) The North Little Rock District Court -- Second Division is served by one (1) state district judge who is elected by the qualified electors of the City of North Little Rock and has territorial jurisdiction only within the city limits of North Little Rock;

(viii) The Pulaski County District Court is served by one (1) state district judge who is elected districtwide and has districtwide territorial jurisdiction;

(ix) The Sherwood District Court is served by one (1) local district judge who is elected districtwide and has districtwide territorial jurisdiction; and

(x) (a) The Wrightsville District Court is served by one (1) local district judge who is elected districtwide and has districtwide territorial jurisdiction.

(b) From and after January 1, 2012, the Wrightsville District Court and the Cammack Village District Court are served by one (1) judge.

(E) Effective January 1, 2017, the Thirty-First District shall continue to have eleven (11) departments that shall be served by eight (8) state district judges. All the following judges shall be elected districtwide and shall have district-wide territorial jurisdiction:

(i) The Jacksonville District Court and the Maumelle District Court shall be served by one (1) judge;

(ii) The Little Rock District Court -- First Division shall be served by one (1) judge;

(iii) The Little Rock District Court -- Second Division shall be served by one (1) judge;

(iv) The Little Rock District Court -- Third Division, the Wrightsville District Court, and the Cammack Village District Court shall be served by one (1) judge;

(v) The North Little Rock District Court -- First Division shall be served by one (1) judge;

(vi) The North Little Rock District Court -- Second Division shall be served by one (1) judge;

(vii) The Pulaski County District Court shall be served by one (1) judge; and

(viii) The Sherwood District Court shall be served by one (1) judge.

(F) (i) Any judge serving as a local district judge in the Thirty-First District whose base annual salary is paid by a city and whose base annual salary is more than the annual salary paid to a state district judge, upon becoming a state district judge, shall continue to be paid by the city the differential amount between his or her annual salary as of December 31, 2016, and the annual salary established by the state for a state district judge.

(ii) The differential amount as calculated as of December 31, 2016, shall continue as long as the judge continues to serve as a state district judge.

(iii) Upon leaving office of state district court judge, by retirement or otherwise, his or her successor shall be paid only the salary established for a state district judge without regard to the differential amount provided for in this section.

(13) (A) The Thirty-Second District is composed of Saline County and the City of Alexander in Pulaski County.

(B) The Thirty-Second District has six (6) departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Benton;

(ii) One (1) located in Bryant;

(iii) One (1) located in Alexander;

(iv) One (1) located in Bauxite;

(v) One (1) located in Haskell; and

(vi) One (1) located in Shannon Hills.

(C) (i) The Thirty-Second District is served by two (2) state district court judges.

(ii) The judgeship which is presently held by Mike Robinson shall hereinafter be designated as Division 1.

(iii) The judgeship which is presently held by Curtis Rickard shall hereinafter be designated Division 2.

(D) The assignment of judges to departments under subdivision (a)(12)(B) of this section is determined by the mutual agreement of the state district court judges.

(E) The Thirty-Second District judges are elected districtwide.

(F) The Thirty-Second District court has districtwide jurisdiction;

(14) (A) The Thirty-Fifth District is composed of Union County.

(B) The Thirty-Fifth District has one (1) department located in El Dorado and one (1) state district court judge.

(C) The Thirty-Fifth District judge is elected districtwide.

(D) The Thirty-Fifth District court has districtwide jurisdiction; and

(15) (A) The Thirty-Seventh District is composed of Miller County.

(B) Beginning January 1, 2017, the Thirty-Seventh District shall be composed of the counties of Miller and Lafayette.

(C) The Thirty-Seventh District shall have two (2) departments located in Texarkana.

(D) Beginning January 1, 2017, the Thirty-Seventh District shall have three (3) additional departments as follows:

(i) One (1) located in Lewisville;

(ii) One (1) located in Bradley; and

(iii) One (1) located in Stamps.

(E) The Thirty-Seventh District is served by one (1) state district court judge.

(F) The Thirty-Seventh District judge is elected districtwide.

(G) The Thirty-Seventh District court has districtwide jurisdiction.

Section: Previous  16-17-1102  16-17-1104  16-17-1105  16-17-1106  16-17-1107  16-17-1108  16-17-1109  16-17-1110  16-17-1111  16-17-1112  16-17-1113  16-17-1114    Next

Last modified: November 15, 2016