(a) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Clothesline” includes a cord, rope, or wire from which laundered items may be hung to dry or air. A balcony, railing, awning, or other part of a structure or building shall not qualify as a clothesline.
(2) “Drying rack” means an apparatus from which laundered items may be hung to dry or air. A balcony, railing, awning, or other part of a structure or building shall not qualify as a drying rack.
(3) “Private area” means an outdoor area or an area in the tenant’s premises enclosed by a wall or fence with access from a door of the premises.
(b) A tenant may utilize a clothesline or drying rack in the tenant’s private area if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The clothesline or drying rack will not interfere with the maintenance of the rental property.
(2) The clothesline or drying rack will not create a health or safety hazard, block doorways, or interfere with walkways or utility service equipment.
(3) The tenant seeks the landlord’s consent before affixing a clothesline to a building.
(4) Use of the clothesline or drying rack does not violate reasonable time or location restrictions imposed by the landlord.
(5) The tenant has received approval of the clothesline or drying rack, or the type of clothesline or drying rack, from the landlord.
(Added by Stats. 2015, Ch. 602, Sec. 1. (AB 1448) Effective January 1, 2016.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018