(a) (1) Unless its governing documents impose more stringent standards, a mutual water company that operates a public water system shall make the following records promptly available upon written request to an eligible person upon payment of fees covering direct costs of duplication:
(A) Agendas and minutes of board meetings conducted on or after January 1, 2014.
(B) A copy of an annual budget adopted pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 14306.
(C) A copy of an accounting report prepared pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 14306.
(D) A copy of any records reporting the results of a water quality test.
(E) A copy of an annual report that has been distributed to the mutual water company’s shareholder or members.
(2) Any request for records pursuant to this subdivision shall be limited to the three calendar years preceding the written request for the records.
(b) For the purposes of this section, “eligible person” means a person who is any of the following:
(1) A stockholder or member of the mutual water company.
(2) A person who is an occupant, pursuant to a lease or a rental agreement, of commercial space or a dwelling unit to which the mutual water company sells, distributes, supplies, or delivers drinking water.
(3) An elected official of a city or county who represents people who receive drinking water directly from the mutual water company on a retail basis.
(4) Any other person eligible to obtain copies of the records listed in subdivision (a) under provisions of the mutual water company’s articles or bylaws.
(Added by Stats. 2013, Ch. 633, Sec. 4. (AB 240) Effective January 1, 2014.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018