(a) The Secretary of State’s office shall develop a program to utilize electronic communications and enhance the availability and accessibility of information on statewide candidates and ballot initiatives. This includes making information available online as well as through other information processing technology.
(b) The Secretary of State may electronically send all of the following election information to a voter:
(1) The date of the election.
(2) The voter registration deadline.
(3) Other information that assists the voter in registering to vote or casting a ballot.
(4) Information contained within the state voter information guide pursuant to Section 9082.7.
(c) The Secretary of State may send the information identified in subdivision (b) using one or both of the following methods:
(1) By electronic mail if the Secretary of State has the voter’s email address and provides the voter with an opportunity to opt out of receiving communications.
(2) By text message to the voter’s electronic device if the voter has consented to receiving text messages and the voter has been provided with an opportunity to opt out of receiving communications.
(Amended by Stats. 2017, Ch. 656, Sec. 6. (AB 606) Effective January 1, 2018.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018