(a) For purposes of this section, the following terms have the following meaning:
(1) “Charge” means any fee or other impost, including, but not limited to, a financial requirement to pay a percentage of any revenues received for an organized activity held on, or involving the use of, a public beach or recreation area.
(2) “Group” means an assemblage of persons of unspecified age who share a singularity of purpose or affiliation that is manifested in joint activity, and who may be formally organized or may produce revenue from their activities.
(3) “Organized camp” has the same meaning as defined in Section 18897 of the Health and Safety Code.
(4) “Public beach or recreation area” means a beach area or an open-space recreational area that is owned or operated by a state or local agency.
(5) “Youth group” means an organization that serves youth 18 years of age or younger, including, but not limited to, the Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts, the YMCA, Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs, 4H Programs, or any organization that operates an organized camp.
(b) No state or local agency shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or other law that requires a youth group to pay a charge in excess of any charge that is imposed on a group composed of a similar number of persons for the use of, or for access to, a public beach or recreation area, or that requires a youth group to obtain a permit for that use or access unless such a group is also required to obtain a permit.
(c) This section shall not be construed to do either of the following:
(1) Prohibit a state or local agency from providing free or lower cost use of, or access to, a public beach or recreation area to any nonprofit group, school, or program operated by a governmental agency.
(2) Except as specified in subdivision (d), limit the ability of a state or local agency to restrict the use of, or access to, a public beach or recreation area if the restriction applies equally to all groups composed of the same number of persons.
(d) Nothing in this section prohibits the imposition of special fees imposed on groups requesting special services or facilities, or groups conducting activities beyond the normal scope of activities or operations at a public beach or recreation area.
(Added by Stats. 1997, Ch. 707, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 1998.)
Last modified: October 25, 2018